PWN vs ULN vs FLX

Go to solution Solved by CapricaBuccaneers,

The PWM models are four-pin connectors which are controlled by pulse width modulation - these are generally the best versions. The S12A runs between 300 and 1200 RPM as controlled by mobo/fan controller software. (And if you use the low noise adapter or not - applies to all models in the range).

The ULN are three-pin connectors which are controlled by direct current - these have two speed settings. S12A: 600 or 800 RPM

The FLX are also three-pin connectors which are controlled by DC - this time with three speed steps. S12A: 700, 900 and 1200 RPM.

Check what type of fan headers your motherboard or fan controller has and buy the appropriate fan models.

I would buy NF-F12s for radiators, though P12s are fine if you already have them. S12As are good for case ventilation.

The industrial PPC fans are louder due to having higher minimum and maximum Rev speeds, and are not compatible with low noise adaptors. They're not really the best for normal users though people will buy them just because they're black coloured.

So i was looking around for some fans, and i'm really liking the Noctua line-up. I was about to make up my mind about which type of fan to get, and i opted for NF-S12A to control the airflow in the case and the have NF-P12 to ventilate the radiator.

It's extremely important for me that the fans are quiet, hense the choice of Noctua. But then i saw the different configurations. Namely that you can choose PWN, ULN or FLX. I was Googleling around for at bit but couldn't really find anything about the topic.

So here's my question for you guys: What does the different models do? And which would be the best option for a silent build?

Bare in mind that i'm not willing to compromise with airflow, but i'm not just gonna plug fans into my power supply and run them at full speed either.

Also, are the models that i have chosen even suited for what i want with them? I know the have an industrial line, but the RPM just seems to high.

I'm really looking forward to your input you've been very helpfull in the past.

Thank you. 

ULN is ultra low noise. It is voltage limited so it can't go above a certain rpm but it's extremely quiet. FLX has different ULN cables so you can control the RPMs. PWM allows you to control rpm via software. This is the best imo because especially with low rpm fans you may not be satisfied with performance and want to bump up the rpm a bit and it will still be really silent

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

The PWM models are four-pin connectors which are controlled by pulse width modulation - these are generally the best versions. The S12A runs between 300 and 1200 RPM as controlled by mobo/fan controller software. (And if you use the low noise adapter or not - applies to all models in the range).

The ULN are three-pin connectors which are controlled by direct current - these have two speed settings. S12A: 600 or 800 RPM

The FLX are also three-pin connectors which are controlled by DC - this time with three speed steps. S12A: 700, 900 and 1200 RPM.

Check what type of fan headers your motherboard or fan controller has and buy the appropriate fan models.

I would buy NF-F12s for radiators, though P12s are fine if you already have them. S12As are good for case ventilation.

The industrial PPC fans are louder due to having higher minimum and maximum Rev speeds, and are not compatible with low noise adaptors. They're not really the best for normal users though people will buy them just because they're black coloured.

Wow thank you very much for the very thorough explanation i really appreciate that.

I think i'm going with the PWM since my motherboard supports it, and it seems like the best option.

Thank you again.