PSU dead?

Jambu95
Go to solution Solved by Jambu95,

Think you killed it with your paper clip. Sorry for reading it wrong do xDD

It works for the first time but not after cleaning though

EDIT: power supply cable's fuse blown up, replaced the cable and it worked like magic

Ok, so I took apart my pc for dusting, just used a small can of compressed air, out of curiosity I tried the paper clip test, green cable and a black ground cable, it works, so I continue doing my thing, blow some air to clear some dust, after that my psu is dead, failed the paper clip test, and wont power up, no signs of life, how strange is that, its a cooler master gx 650 bronze, still working fine before I used the compressed air

EDIT: TOOK APART MY PC! Not psu, sorry for the confusion

Its not recommended to disassemble your psu. And this would indeed be one of those results. Also when your were "disassembling" did you use anti static strap and other things ?

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Ok, so I took apart my power supply for dusting, just used a small can of compressed air, out of curiosity I tried the paper clip test, green cable and a black ground cable, it works, so I continue doing my thing, blow some air to clear some dust, after than my psu is dead, failed the paper clip test, and wont power up, no signs of life, how strange is that, its a cooler master gx 650 bronze, still working fine before I used the compressed air

Follow your thread 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Then i think you migt've killed it. It is not recommended to open up power supplies. It also voids the warranty.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

Its not recommended to disassemble your psu. And this would indeed be one of those results. Also when your were "disassembling" did you use anti static strap and other things ?

Then i think you migt've killed it. It is not recommended to open up power supplies. It also voids the warranty.

I didn't disassemble my psu, I just took it out of my pc case

Thing with compressed air is that the air actually has moisture. If that were to get into any small electrical components it would simply short it. I'd wait a day or two and let it dry off and it still doesn't work, well.. you've killed it.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

I didn't disassemble my psu, I just took it out of my pc case

It works for the first time but not after cleaning though

EDIT: power supply cable's fuse blown up, replaced the cable and it worked like magic