Fast boot times slow game load times

ed4546
Go to solution Solved by mcammidge,

Ok, I thought that the max speed of Sata 2 was 300MB/s as many others have said (as well as Linus himself). Also, I bought my SSD as I only had Sata 2 ports and this is obviously not the best SSD out there so it seemed like a good deal as I wouldnt need blazing fast speeds. So, i'm sort of stuck as to what to do as I don't want to waste any money. I don't know how much potential my SSD actually has, being connected via Sata 3.

Seeing people online with 400MB/s + read times so that drive would appear to be capable of much more. Also the board you've linked looks like it will do the job  :)

So I recently upgraded to a HyperX Fury 120GB SSD from my 1TB Toshiba HDD which I now use as secondary storage. The boot times on Windows 10 are amazing but I haven't noticed a difference whatsoever in game loading times (for Team Fortress 2 and a couple of others). I am using Sata 2, as my motherboard only supports up to that but surely a HDD wouldn't be hitting Sata 2 max speeds and causing my SSD to show no improvement over it? Thanks in advance!

load times are also affected by the ammount of ram you have and cpu so maybe one of these components is bottlenecking

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

can you download crystaldiskmark run a bench on your SSD (at least 5 runs) and post the results? As Ciprian said other components will impact loading times so could you post your full system spec

CPU: Intel i7-4790K | GPU: Asus Strix 2080 Super OC | COOLER:Corsair H110i GT | MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz PSU: Corsair RM 1000 | CASE: Corsair C70 | MOUSE: Corsair M95 KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 RGB SSD: Samsung 256GBx2 Raid0 | OS: Windows 10 | DISPLAY: Dell S3220dgf

load times are also affected by the ammount of ram you have and cpu so maybe one of these components is bottlenecking

I have an X4 860K CPU,8GB of 1600MHz RAM and a GTX 750Ti so they shouldn't be bottlenecks.

can you download crystaldiskmark run a bench on your SSD (at least 5 runs) and post the results? As Ciprian said other components will impact loading times so could you post your full system spec

My motherboard is a Gigabyte F2A58M-HD2 (Micro-ATX). Other specs above

I currently can't use my PC until Monday as I am away from home but I will try that on Monday Afternoon if all goes according to plan.

thats about the right speed for Sata2, but its worth noting you are losing about half of your read/write speeds due to using Sata2 over Sata3.

I'd strongly recommend looking at a board that supports SATA3, even if its an older board in order to support your CPU chipset/generation. If you post full system specs (CPU/Mobo/RAM) etc would be happy to help find a good board to suit the budget.

References: If you google Sata2 SSD Benchmark there is a few good articles showing comparative speeds on Sata2 and Sata3, most i've checked show about half the performance on reads.

EDIT: Based on CPU mentioned in your earlier post the http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-fm2a88xpro3 looks like a good fit

CPU: Intel i7-4790K | GPU: Asus Strix 2080 Super OC | COOLER:Corsair H110i GT | MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz PSU: Corsair RM 1000 | CASE: Corsair C70 | MOUSE: Corsair M95 KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 RGB SSD: Samsung 256GBx2 Raid0 | OS: Windows 10 | DISPLAY: Dell S3220dgf

thats about the right speed for Sata2, but its worth noting you are losing about half of your read/write speeds due to using Sata2 over Sata3.

I'd strongly recommend looking at a board that supports SATA3, even if its an older board in order to support your CPU chipset/generation. If you post full system specs (CPU/Mobo/RAM) etc would be happy to help find a good board to suit the budget.

References: If you google Sata2 SSD Benchmark there is a few good articles showing comparative speeds on Sata2 and Sata3, most i've checked show about half the performance on reads.

EDIT: Based on CPU mentioned in your earlier post the http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-fm2a88xpro3 looks like a good fit

Ok, I thought that the max speed of Sata 2 was 300MB/s as many others have said (as well as Linus himself). Also, I bought my SSD as I only had Sata 2 ports and this is obviously not the best SSD out there so it seemed like a good deal as I wouldnt need blazing fast speeds. So, i'm sort of stuck as to what to do as I don't want to waste any money. I don't know how much potential my SSD actually has, being connected via Sata 3.

My full system spec is as follows:

X4 860K

GTX 750Ti

(The Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB SSD)

1TB Toshiba HDD

A 500 Watt generic power supply

CiT Xecutioner Mesh Black USB 3.0 Gaming Case

My friend recently bought a gaming PC with this motherboard inside it which also has the same CPU on it and it looks quite good. It has USB 3.0 which is something my current motherboard has no support for. And is quite cheap and has Sata 3 Eughmahgerd. It is the Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 which seems just like my one at the moment apart from a couple of extra features.

Seeing people online with 400MB/s + read times so that drive would appear to be capable of much more. Also the board you've linked looks like it will do the job  :)

Seeing people online with 400MB/s + read times so that drive would appear to be capable of much more. Also the board you've linked looks like it will do the job :)

Ok, thanks I didn't know my SSD was capable of that speed. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it!

Ok, thanks I didn't know my SSD was capable of that speed. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it!

No Problem mate,have a google round for benchmarks on your disk and you'll see what other people are getting on SATA 6GB/s  :D