help with a router

proud greek

hi guys i bought this router http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C20i.html#overview propably it isnt what i wanted bcz to connect it to internet i must connect with my old router ppoe connection i cant connect it without my old so im doing something wrong or that routers connection is different you know the simple connect line and you done? i realy need help bcz i spended 40 something for that thing :P ps i dont know if that will help i live in greece :)

hi guys i bought this router http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C20i.html#overview propably it isnt what i wanted bcz to connect it to internet i must connect with my old router ppoe connection i cant connect it without my old so im doing something wrong or that routers connection is different you know the simple connect line and you done? i realy need help bcz i spended 40 something for that thing :P ps i dont know if that will help i live in greece :)

So you aren't connecting to the modem, that is where you should be connecting.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

So you aren't connecting to the modem, that is where you should be connecting.

look i mean can i connect that router with the old you know style a port for the line and my pc on ethernet configure done :P

look i mean can i connect that router with the old you know style a port for the line and my pc on ethernet configure done :P

What is it you are trying to achieve with a second router? Normally a second router is to extend the Wi-Fi, its used as a repeater. If you are trying to extend your RJ45 connection then you did wrong in that buy but you can still use it.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

The word router must me the most misunderstood/misused word of the decade...

And by that you mean? 

What is it you are trying to achieve with a second router? Normally a second router is to extend the Wi-Fi, its used as a repeater. If you are trying to extend your RJ45 connection then you did wrong in that buy but you can still use it.

yes propably i did wrong buy can you suggest me a good router no repeaters or sh*t i want to get rid of the default router bcz it is realy bad and propably when i buy the new ill connect also the wrong buy router yes i did wrong buy its bit confusing so many types of routers e.t.c...

That thing you get from your ISP is a modem/router/switch/access point combo unit. Someone see a modem? Router! A router? Router! Switch? Router! Access point? Router! So much confusion...

The word router must me the most misunderstood/misused word of the decade...

its not its just so many types of routers its confusing.....

That thing you get from your ISP is a modem/router/switch/access point combo unit. Someone see a modem? Router! A router? Router! Switch? Router! Access point? Router! So much confusion...

if you dont want to help you can leave leave the irony yes its confusing for me.

A modem is not a router it has now being combined with switches and more feature but a modem is a complete separate unit. I hope you know that, and router is misused by many but its a switch with features that's pretty much all.

A modem is not a router it has now being combined with switches and more feature but a modem is a complete separate unit. I hope you know that, and router is misused by many but its a switch with features that's pretty much all.

Whoa! I hope you see the sarcasm in my post. Only a router is a router.

yes propably i did wrong buy can you suggest me a good router no repeaters or sh*t i want to get rid of the default router bcz it is realy bad and propably when i buy the new ill connect also the wrong buy router yes i did wrong buy its bit confusing so many types of routers e.t.c...

The correct way to use two routers for RJ45 connectors is to not use the WAN port and you are set you are using the switch part of the router. That is all you need from it.

And a router is more than a switch with features..

Bridge the old into the new.

yes i did that but i had several probs like ethernet was not working only wifi i read you need to make some modifications to that type of connection dual routers you know to make old one only to give connection to other and disable some things from the old and be enabled to new one

And a router is more than a switch with features..

Now we are getting technical, let's not go there... the big difference from a switch and a router is the WAN port to direct traffic. Happy? lol.

anyway thanks for your time guys if you can suggest me a a router to just connect it to line and have internet if you can i dont want it to be much expensive bcz speeds here is not that high :P

Now we are getting technical, let's not go there... the big difference from a switch and a router is the WAN port to direct traffic. Happy? lol.

You think too consumer grade. A real router doesn't have a "wan" port.

true that :P wan is sh*t thanks to my stupidity.... :D

You are now talking about core routers, routers is the "consumer term".

guys hmmmm sorry  i stop you conversation but its ok i get your point wan port means you cant connect the router directly to the line this type or router must take internet from another that is real or whatever you want it to be called router now can you suggest me a real router please? :P

Is its 5am now a valid excuse? :/

Yes, you are now allowed to sleep.  :P  :D