$500 or less build?

Jared_1
Go to solution Solved by Thunder Down Under,

I would do something like this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3KCJ3C

I've decided to scrap my AMD build (:D) and I want to go Intel since everyone keeps telling me to get Intel. What would be a good CPU for editing/gaming. I like the Cooler Master N200 case and I want to get a GTX 950. Any ideas?

Probably should just get the GTX 960 right now because its like 20 bucks more and is a substantial step up.  

Also any build around 500 I would either go with an i3 or an AMD processor.  Don't expect to video edit or stream with an i3 though, just saying.  Honestly don't expect to get crazy editing performance out of any 100$ or so processor.  Check out some 500 dollar PC builds on Youtube and see if any of them look like something you want.  I know CultofMush just released a 550 dollar pc build today.

Hard to go $500 without getting a crap cpu or gpu.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($42.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Core Edition Video Card ($145.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $531.61

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-13 21:46 EDT-0400

Probably should just get the GTX 960 right now because its like 20 bucks more and is a substantial step up.  

Also any build around 500 I would either go with an i3 or an AMD processor.  Don't expect to video edit or stream with an i3 though, just saying.  Honestly don't expect to get crazy editing performance out of any 100$ or so processor.  Check out some 500 dollar PC builds on Youtube and see if any of them look like something you want.  I know CultofMush just released a 550 dollar pc build today.

One I saw was using the same AMD chip I was going to use in my AMD build.

Also, any good motherboards. I'd even like to venture into AIO water cooling.

What about an i5-4690?

Also, any good motherboards. I'd even like to venture into AIO water cooling.

Not for $500 m8, unless you are just buying those two components.

Not for $500 m8, unless you are just buying those two components.

I guess I'll be using the stock heatsink. :D Any mobo? I do plan on using the Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 RAM.

It looks like

i5-4690

Stock Intel

16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix Sport

Some mobo

450 watt PSU

Cooler Master N200

GTX 950 or GTX 960

I guess I'll be using the stock heatsink. :D Any mobo? I do plan on using the Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 RAM.

It looks like

i5-4690

Stock Intel

16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix Sport

Some mobo

450 watt PSU

Cooler Master N200

GTX 950 or GTX 960

That's gonna run you over $500 . . . Unless you've changed your budget? But OK, if you have the cash.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($212.95 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($42.89 @ OutletPC) 

Memory: Team Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($16.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $532.80

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-13 22:15 EDT-0400

It skimps on quite a bit, but this is going to be the best over-all.

By going all in for CPU and GPU you save a lot more in the long run than going light on them now and upgrading them later. 

I'd say your ideal upgrade path would be:

PSU (60$)

Case (100$)

Mobo (130$)

Memory (60$ for 8GB, or get 2 more of the ones in this build but the MoBo you pick needs to be quad-channel)

IN THAT ORDER.

other than that you should be golden for the long term.

I have yet to see that kid give the best performance for the dollar in a build. He just suggests what's popular.

I've decided to scrap my AMD build ( :D) and I want to go Intel since everyone keeps telling me to get Intel. What would be a good CPU for editing/gaming. I like the Cooler Master N200 case and I want to get a GTX 950. Any ideas?

A lot of people are telling you to scrap your AMD build because a lot of them are probably fanboys. What do you have in the old system and are you planning to use any of it in the new system?

I have yet to see that kid give the best performance for the dollar in a build. He just suggests what's popular.

A lot of people are telling you to scrap your AMD build because a lot of them are probably fanboys. What do you have in the old system and are you planning to use any of it in the new system?

My old system is LGA 775 with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 with 3GB DDR2 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 5450 and a 250 watt PSU.

People tell me that because for the same price or a bit more, I can get a better Intel cpu. Ex. $70 for an AMD x4 860k 4 cores or ~$120 for a cheap i3 4 cores. They say sometimes the Intel gets better single core performance but my workload is multi-core based.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($212.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($42.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $532.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-13 22:15 EDT-0400

It skimps on quite a bit, but this is going to be the best over-all.

By going all in for CPU and GPU you save a lot more in the long run than going light on them now and upgrading them later. 

I'd say your ideal upgrade path would be:

PSU (60$)
Case (100$)
Mobo (130$)
Memory (60$ for 8GB, or get 2 more of the ones in this build but the MoBo you pick needs to be quad-channel)

IN THAT ORDER.

other than that you should be golden for the long term.

Maybe I'll forgo the GPU for now Or I''ll say up more money and build the system with the better mobo.

AMD isn't going to hold you back too much overall, and it's going to let you save money to put towards your GPU, which is going to matter a lot more for most games

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kkVnRB

860K + 380, used to be you could get a 290 for near 200, but not anymore I guess, check your local craigslist or something on that one.

Go for a Core 1000 case if you wanna get the price down just a bit more, it'll do fine

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

My old system is LGA 775 with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 with 3GB DDR2 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 5450 and a 250 watt PSU.

People tell me that because for the same price or a bit more, I can get a better Intel cpu. Ex. $70 for an AMD x4 860k 4 cores or ~$120 for a cheap i3 4 cores. They say sometimes the Intel gets better single core performance but my workload is multi-core based.

No i3 has four core's they only have two cores with hyperthreading which is not a substitute for true cores. The 860k is a far better processor for multitasking and is behind by a insignificant amount in gaming and that gap can be closed a little bit by overclocking it if you wish to do so but it's not necessary. I'll see what I can put together.

No i3 has four core's they only have two cores with hyperthreading which is not a substitute for true cores. The 860k is a far better processor for multitasking and is behind by a insignificant amount in gaming and that gap can be closed a little bit by overclocking it if you wish to do so but it's not necessary. I'll see what I can put together.

That's why I went with AMD in the first place

I will do that. Thanks!!!! Be watching for when I show it off in a few months. ;)