Z170 Posting issues

Grissm

Since installing my Skylake 6700k into a ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+ board, and installing newest drivers, my PC has been unable to consistently boot w/o errors. The most common one being a PCI lane error. (Error code 99 on Dr. Debug LED) I've updated BIOS, and drivers. Trying to get the system smooth again as it was before the upgrade. Where should I start?

System Specs:

CPU: i7-6700k

MOBO: AsRock Z170 Extreme 7+

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb - 2666MGhz

Boot Drive - Samsung 850 Pro SSD - 256 GB

Aux Storage: WD 1TB Blue series

PSU: Corsair CX 500W

GPU: HIS 7950 HD

Remove the GPU from the system and try booting using the onboard GPU instead.

If that works OK then its an issue with your GPU.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Or if your mobo uses uefi and your GPU doesn't support it, it might not work, in that case switch pcie between uefi/legacy and try it. I speak from experience and many sleepless nights.

~snip~

Hey there Grissm,

I would also suggest to try to run your system on its bare minimums (CPU, one stick of memory, no GPU, not storage drives, everything on stock speeds) and see if it boots to BIOS without problems. Then try adding the boot drive and see if it boots to the OS without the error. Then start adding parts one by one and see which one causes the problem. You can also test your PSU with multimeter (you can find some guides online). Taking the motherboard to a technician to see if it's working properly can also help you figure out where the problem is.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I narrowed it down to old drivers actually. They were causing conflicts from the Windows 7 version for the GPU and the Windows 10 ones I had downloaded. Seems to be better now. 

I lied. Well not on purpose. 30 min after the above post it started again. I was having BSOD issues w/ Memory_Management errors that I thought I had fixed with driver updates. I've already run Memtest on both sticks with no findings of errors. Also ran the Windows Mem check to no avail. Really at a loss on what to do at this point. Does not seem to be the memory sticks themselves. I restarted 5 times in the last 15 min and got all Memory_Management errors and one KMOD_Exception not handled error. Any help would be amazing. 

-- Going to make a new thread as this is unrelated to post issues.

I lied. Well not on purpose. 30 min after the above post it started again. I was having BSOD issues w/ Memory_Management errors that I thought I had fixed with driver updates. I've already run Memtest on both sticks with no findings of errors. Also ran the Windows Mem check to no avail. Really at a loss on what to do at this point. Does not seem to be the memory sticks themselves. I restarted 5 times in the last 15 min and got all Memory_Management errors and one KMOD_Exception not handled error. Any help would be amazing. 

-- Going to make a new thread as this is unrelated to post issues.

Do you happen to have any external peripherals plugged in your system by any chance that may be causing this? Checking with the manufacturers of all internal and external parts for new drivers for the new OS may fix the issue. If not - simply contact MS's support and ask for assistance :) I'm sure the guys there may provide some additional info and help.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Sorry but I am having the same problem too. I have a gigabyte z170 Gaming 7 with the error code 55. I did check the CPU socket and nothing looks out of ordinary. I also reseated the RAM to different slots.

I have bios version F5e. Any insight? 

Sorry but I am having the same problem too. I have a gigabyte z170 Gaming 7 with the error code 55. I did check the CPU socket and nothing looks out of ordinary. I also reseated the RAM to different slots.

I have bios version F5e. Any insight? 

I would try to reseat the memory sticks, possibly try each of them individually in each slot and see if that works. Contacting the manufacturer's support can also be helpful :) they should be able to give you some useful tips.

Captain_WD.

I would try to reseat the memory sticks, possibly try each of them individually in each slot and see if that works. Contacting the manufacturer's support can also be helpful :) they should be able to give you some useful tips.

Captain_WD.

Ill try that, I am still waiting on a response for Gigabyte. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I narrowed it down to old drivers actually. They were causing conflicts from the Windows 7 version for the GPU and the Windows 10 ones I had downloaded. Seems to be better now. 

Looks Like another issue related to Win10. add it to the list.  

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

Remove the GPU from the system and try booting using the onboard GPU instead.

If that works OK then its an issue with your GPU.

That could also mean PSU.

Try each memory DIMM separately