Quick W10 question

Ariona

What is the bare minimum GB needed for a functional Windows 10 OS instal? 

Someone recently told me that It's a good idea to partition your SSD to keep the C drive only for windows while you can still put games and other crap on a second partition avoiding the hoo ha with permisions crap.

Any ideas? and is this a good idea? I have a 120GB Samsung 840 Evo. 

Edit: Windows 10 64bit Pro*

Edit 2: clarifying I'm talking about the OS instal and not RAM or instal drive size*

What is the bare minimum GB needed for a functional Windows 10?

Someone recently told me that It's a good idea to partition your SSD to keep the C drive only for windows while you can still put games and other crap on a second partition avoiding the hoo ha with permisions crap.

Any ideas? and is this a good idea? I have a 120GB Samsung 840 Evo. 

1GB is the minimum requirement (for 32bit and 2Gb for 64bit) RAM

1GB is the minimum requirement (for 32bit and 2Gb for 64bit)

Ummm I currently have a windows 8.1 instal and was about to upgrade when it told me I needed to make more space... 

You need 20GB of free space for Windows 10 64-bit on your HDD/SSD.

Keep in mind that you need extra free space for updates, programs temp files, programs adds files(even though you install them in a different drive), program configuration files, and if you upgrade (keep in mind upgrades to Windows 10.1, 10.2, etc), there will be a backup of the current Windows.

If you are low in space, Windows 10 will compress itself, and decompress files as it accesses files, resulting in CPU being hard at work, but still have a system functional with low in free space.

So ideally you want a drive partition of 75GB of more, especially if you have a lot of programs. That is ideally.

But Windows 10 will work fine if you have 32GB of free space (heck they are Windows tablets with 32GB of storage, and have free space).

1GB is the minimum requirement (for 32bit and 2Gb for 64bit)

I think OP's question was about storage, not RAM.

Ummm I currently have a windows 8.1 instal and was about to upgrade when it told me I needed to make more space...

Practical example - I've got Win 10 10525 and a some large apps installed - Photoshop, Lightroom, Unity3D, Visual Studio 2015 and a few others - and all that takes about 80 gigs. I've noticed that each update to a new build takes about the quoted 20 GB around 15 of which are because Windows wants to copy the current installation to C:\Windows.old; I assume it will be a similar thing when upgrading from 8 to 10.

Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 5900X | NH-U14S | Asus X Noctua RTX 3070 | MP600 | 850 EVO 250 GB | Caviar Black 5 TB | SS-860 XP2 | Define R5 Black | Thaulab Varna IV -> Objective 2 -> Sennheiser HD-555/AKG K7XX/Audiotechnica ATH-M40x

You need 20GB of free space for Windows 10 64-bit on your HDD/SSD.

Keep in mind that you need extra free space for updates, programs temp files, programs adds files(even though you install them in a different drive), program configuration files, and if you upgrade (keep in mind upgrades to Windows 10.1, 10.2, etc), there will be a backup of the current Windows.

If you are low in space, Windows 10 will compress itself, and decompress files as it accesses files, resulting in CPU being hard at work, but still have a system functional with low in free space.

So ideally you want a drive partition of 75GB of more, especially if you have a lot of programs. That is ideally.

But Windows 10 will work fine if you have 32GB of free space (heck they are Windows tablets with 32GB of storage, and have free space).

Okay sounds like I can get away with a 55GB Os partition, 10GB Over provisioning, and a 55GB Game/program partition. 

This sounds good?