Bricked my dads One S then saved it after 5 hours.

My dad is giving his HTC One S to my brother. I always root and install custom roms onto android phones because I hate bloatware, and we tend to use apps that need root access. Let me start off by saying the HTC One S is a PAIN to install custom roms onto. I had to pull out my OLD DELL windows XP laptop that takes forever to do anything since this phones driver do not like Windows 8/10. 

Okay so, I had to unlock the One S bootloader and install TWRP or CWR recoveries onto the phone. Done and done.

I chose CM 12 NIGHTLY as its stable enough for now... kinda.

You must use ADB to push the ZIP file onto your phones internal SD card. Well, ADB wasn't working correctly.

I said fuck it and skipped that part. Huge mistake. I ended up wiping my internal storage. Now I have no ROM on the phone and no firmware to boot into besides the recovery and fastboot. All of a sudden the internal storage was corrupted.

Now nothing works. TWRP cannot mount any files. The phone is BRICKED.

I installed the stock recovery, cleared the STORAGE and reset the files to factory settings.

(This uncorrupted my storage and only works with the stock recovery for some reason.)

Re-flashed TWRP recovery.

4 hours of searching and figuring things out on my own... I remembered fastboot can flash boot.img files from back in the day with my S1.

I flashed the CM10 boot.img then mounted the USB storage and transfered CM10 back onto the device.

Installed CM10.zip

Fucking hell. It works.

It doesn't sound like a lot, but when you're panicking because it's not your phone, and you are being told you're basically fucked... jesus.

Not to mention the DELL LAPTOP IS SLOW AS TITS.

CM12 now downloading...

Thanks for reading... It's now 4:20am. I wanted to be in bed at 11.

blackshades on

Luckily my OnePlus has automagical CM Updates <3

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I got into a bootloop for editing an xml file about video settings on my LG G3. No idea why that would cause a boot loop in the first place but hey...I didn't have a custom recovery installed, so I flashed the stock ROM via download mode. LG has a quite handy flash tool :D .

I installed TWRP afterwards and I'm not running CloudyG3.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I got into a bootloop for editing an xml file about video settings on my LG G3. No idea why that would cause a boot loop in the first place but hey...I didn't have a custom recovery installed, so I flashed the stock ROM via download mode. LG has a quite handy flash tool :D .

I installed TWRP afterwards and I'm not running CloudyG3.

Yeah see... HTC doesn't have that. Inorder to use a one-fix-all recovery to restore your shit back to stock you have to find the EXACT RUU file. This basically does that.

You must match up your Carrier, baseband number and bootloader number. (Depends in you have N-ON or N-OFF) in my case I was ON so I couldn't have a different bootloader number... sadly I couldn't find this RUU file. It doesn't exist for this EXACT model/baseband/bootloader.

Retarded as shit. Would have saved me hours.

blackshades on

Stuff like this really sucks. I tried to root an old android 2.3 phone and it was a paiin. Like litterly nothing worked and I think I spended like nearly 10 hours to do it.

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Stuff like this really sucks. I tried to root an old android 2.3 phone and it was a paiin. Like litterly nothing worked and I think I spended like nearly 10 hours to do it.

Yup same with my Xperia U which is sadly my phone. I've managed to root it which took hours... can't even unlock the bootloader because it's an STa model. 

blackshades on

Good experience.

Haha yep. Clearly this phone hates CM12. TWRP recovery is now corrupted. Going to try Clockwork recovery otherwise I'll just stick to CM10.

blackshades on

Haha yep. Clearly this phone hates CM12. TWRP recovery is now corrupted. Going to try Clockwork recovery otherwise I'll just stick to CM10.

It's the stuff like this which runs like a chore which we learn our most valuable troubleshooting skills from.

It taught me not to take shortcuts when I bricked my SGS with no other internet connection; I had to drive 2 hours to my parents, fix the software there and then come home. Luckily I did this or I'd have missed an important phone call and email from a job I was waiting to hear the decision about after an interview!

It's the stuff like this which runs like a chore which we learn our most valuable troubleshooting skills from.

It taught me not to take shortcuts when I bricked my SGS with no other internet connection; I had to drive 2 hours to my parents, fix the software there and then come home. Luckily I did this or I'd have missed an important phone call and email from a job I was waiting to hear the decision about after an interview!

Balls. That's fucking aweful lol. I've done something similar with my old Galaxy S. That stressful feeling always gets to be when working on this stuff.

I'm a lucky person though. Never give up, just do whatever even if it doesn't make sense. Make it work!

(CM12 is now installed and works.)

blackshades on

SNIp

NEVER mess with other people's phones. Just do not do it! 

You WILL mess up at some point and BRICK a device that is not yours. That costs $$$ then to repair or replace.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

NEVER mess with other people's phones. Just do not do it! 

You WILL mess up at some point and BRICK a device that is not yours. That costs $$$ then to repair or replace.

Yeah I normally give them a warning then make them sign a paper. I know one day I will mess up badly, but risks are my life.

This was my dad so we were OK with it all. I just wasn't expecting this trouble for this phone. Too many models.

I repair friends laptops which is even worse!

blackshades on