BitFenix Prodigy M GPU Reference vs. Non-reference

Noyu
Go to solution Solved by Noyu,

OK after much research about your suggestion.

This will be my plan,

I will be choosing a non-reference 960. <this is final, this is because the non-reference will simply perform better>

Upon purchase this weekend,

I will reorient the 2 provided fans to be intakes up top. the rear will be open, while the bottom will be shielded.
After buying the GPU, I will still be orienting the fans this way.
By the time I buy the CPU Cooler, I will just set the radiator at the rear as exhaust.
When I get moolah to buy new fans, I'll change the top fans into Scythe GTs or maybe noctua F12s.

Then I'll try comparing these 2 cases.

Case1, throw out the bitfenix provided fans.

Case2, put them on bottom intake.

I'll update this thread on December. For now, many thanks Aniallation.
I will still be following this thread though, other guys may have other ideas.

Sooo this would be my "current" build. I will be buying these parts this coming weekend.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JwFNhM

And from this base build, I will be buying additional components per month.

October: GPU
November: SSD
December: Cooling (upgrade/add fans, AIO Liquid CPU Cooler)

Now here are 2 scenarios:

Scenario 1: Buy a non-reference card, the air would be moving upside-down.
Top: 2xIntake
Rear: 1xExhaust (to put AIO Rad here in the future)
Bottom: Blocked off (Heat Shield)

Scenario 2: Reference card,
Top: Exhaust (Rad will be here, not sure if I will be adding another fan on exhaust)
Rear: 1xIntake
Bottom: 2xIntake

I am currently looking at a reference Palit GTX 960 vs a non-reference Inno3D Herculez 960

Now, discuss gents.

P.S.
I am not a fan of negative pressure.
PSU orientation is the same for both cases (front intake, bottom exhaust).
BitFenix only provides filters for the top fans. (so I will buy additional filters for Scenario 2)
CPU Cooler I'm looking at is the Captain120, just coz.
This build is a balance between budget and aesthetics.
Turning the whole chassis upside down IS NOT A SOLUTION.

I know that there's a lot of hate on reference coolers, but I just want this thread to be an intellectual discussion, as this will be my very first build, which I have been "building" (more like researching) for half a year now.

ANY PRODIGY M USERS OUT THERE HEYYAAHHHHH

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

Hey there, welcome to the forum! Prodigy M owner here. 

I'd suggest going for a top-down airflow pattern regardless. Since the design of the bottom fans puts them right against the grilles, which will result in turbulence noise (humming) if you have the fans as intake. 

I am currently using a non-reference 7870 with two top 120 intakes, one rear 120 intake, and a single 200 bottom exhaust.

"Rawr XD"

Hey there, welcome to the forum! Prodigy M owner here. 

I'd suggest going for a top-down airflow pattern regardless. Since the design of the bottom fans puts them right against the grilles, which will result in turbulence noise (humming) if you have the fans as intake. 

I am currently using a non-reference 7870 with two top 120 intakes, one rear 120 intake, and a single 200 bottom exhaust.

Ah yes thanks.

Would the 3 fans be enough? I'm planning on overclocking the g3258 (obviously) to 4.2GHz on stock. And when I get the AIO, prolly 4.4 or 4.5.

With Scenario 1, the bottom half of the case would probably be just stagnant air since most of the air intaked uptop will get exhausted to the rear.

Not that it's a problem IF I'm on an AIO. But currently on the stock cpu cooler wouldn't the cpu be choked of air?

EDIT: didn't see you have a 200mm bottom exhaust. ahahaha

Isn't it hard exhausting to a floor with little clearance?

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

Ah yes thanks.

Would the 3 fans be enough? I'm planning on overclocking the g3258 (obviously) to 4.2GHz on stock. And when I get the AIO, prolly 4.4 or 4.5.

With Scenario 1, the bottom half of the case would probably be just stagnant air since most of the air intaked uptop will get exhausted to the rear.

Not that it's a problem IF I'm on an AIO. But currently on the stock cpu cooler wouldn't the cpu be choked of air?

EDIT: didn't see you have a 200mm bottom exhaust. ahahaha

Isn't it hard exhausting to a floor with little clearance?

3 fans should be enough for a G3258+960 setup.

And with the feet of the prodigy M there is a LOT of clearance on the bottom, you don't have to worry about that. 

"Rawr XD"

3 fans should be enough for a G3258+960 setup.

And with the feet of the prodigy M there is a LOT of clearance on the bottom, you don't have to worry about that. 

another thing I didn't see, rear intake. omg too much caffeine.

Thanks for the insight.

anyone out there who'd detest Mr. Aniallation's setup? (no offense Aniallation, but I want a discussion, unless everybody thinks the same way)

Karamo

Spoiler

another thing I didn't see, rear intake. omg too much caffeine.

Thanks for the insight.

anyone out there who'd detest Mr. Aniallation's setup? (no offense Aniallation, but I want a discussion, unless everybody thinks the same way)

Generally it was from a quick Google search for Prodigy M airflow in which I found it, it seems that a lot of people are using this airflow method in this case.

7731dbeb45.jpg

"Rawr XD"

Generally it was from a quick Google search for Prodigy M airflow in which I found it, it seems that a lot of people are using this airflow method in this case.

7731dbeb45.jpg

ah yes. I have also seen some illustrations using this setup. But what I'm doubting is putting the radiator as rear intake. I've read around that radiators should almost always be exhaust. No scientific explanation tho. just coz ahahahah

edit: 1 explanation is to minimize dust build up on rads

Karamo

Spoiler

ah yes. I have also seen some illustrations using this setup. But what I'm doubting is putting the radiator as rear intake. I've read around that radiators should almost always be exhaust. No scientific explanation tho. just coz ahahahah

Cause you'll have less hot air in your case, and generally the back is used as an exhaust anyways. 

You can do it in the Prodigy M as well. If you only have two top intake and bottom covered, then have the rear/rad as exhaust. However for me with a bottom exhaust if I also had the rear as exhaust I'd have negative air pressure.

"Rawr XD"

Cause you'll have less hot air in your case, and generally the back is used as an exhaust anyways. 

You can do it in the Prodigy M as well. If you only have two top intake and bottom covered, then have the rear/rad as exhaust. However for me with a bottom exhaust if I also had the rear as exhaust I'd have negative air pressure.

have you tried comparing the 2 cases?

Case1: Bottom exhaust rear intake

Case2: Bottom blocked rear exhaust

Karamo

Spoiler

OK after much research about your suggestion.

This will be my plan,

I will be choosing a non-reference 960. <this is final, this is because the non-reference will simply perform better>

Upon purchase this weekend,

I will reorient the 2 provided fans to be intakes up top. the rear will be open, while the bottom will be shielded.
After buying the GPU, I will still be orienting the fans this way.
By the time I buy the CPU Cooler, I will just set the radiator at the rear as exhaust.
When I get moolah to buy new fans, I'll change the top fans into Scythe GTs or maybe noctua F12s.

I'll update this thread on December. For now, many thanks Aniallation.
I will still be following this thread though, other guys may have other ideas.

Karamo

Spoiler

Reuse them. The Bitfenix-provided fans (Spectre) are actually quite good and decently quiet. Airflow leaves a bit to be desired but for free (or even the $7 if you buy them separate), you really can't complain.

"Rawr XD"

Reuse them. The Bitfenix-provided fans (Spectre) are actually quite good and decently quiet. Airflow leaves a bit to be desired but for free (or even the $7 if you buy them separate), you really can't complain.

ahahaha yep.. That's why there's a case2. I just wanna test if there's really that big of a difference when it comes to temperatures. Some people say that too much positive pressure will hurt the effectivity of the fan on exhaust.. But with a rad there, I don't think so. anyways, I'll keep you posted. ON DECEMBER HUEHUEHUE

Karamo

Spoiler