Should I get an e-reader?

I'm a huge nerd. I love books. However, I live in a fairly remote area and the library is a good 25-30 minutes away. They almost never have the books I want and when they do, they're in tatters and hardly readable. I've hardly done any reading lately because lack of reading material. I was just thinking how much better having an e-reader would be. Do you think its worth it? Which ones should I look at? I just need something to read with, not anything expensive or fancy. Also how much do books cost?

Get a tablet/e reader. If you have a tablet use that. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Get a tablet/e reader. If you have a tablet use that. 

I've got my pc, my mp3 player, and a fairly highpowered laser. No tablet

I've got my pc, my mp3 player, and a fairly highpowered laser. No tablet

I would get a tablet instead. Its an reader plus more. get maybe a cheap android tablet? 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

I will say this...if money is tight and you must choose, by all means a tablet is the better choice as it essentially kills two birds with one stone. That being said, there is something much nicer about reading books on a dedicated ereader because of the epaper. I am partial to the Kindle Paperwhite. The regular Kindle is like $60 now though, which is not bad at all.

Keep in mind depending on how you want to acquire your books a tablet may be the more economical choice. I love the Kindle but damn some of those book prices are pretty high, and it's harder to get non-Amazon store books on the device, though it is doable.

I will say this...if money is tight and you must choose, by all means a tablet is the better choice as it essentially kills two birds with one stone. That being said, there is something much nicer about reading books on a dedicated ereader because of the epaper. I am partial to the Kindle Paperwhite. The regular Kindle is like $60 now though, which is not bad at all.

Keep in mind depending on how you want to acquire your books a tablet may be the more economical choice. I love the Kindle but damn some of those book prices are pretty high, and it's harder to get non-Amazon store books on the device, though it is doable.

My family has prime. Idk if that would help. I seem to recall nook had some library system where you could "borrow" virtual copies then return them or something

My family has prime. Idk if that would help. I seem to recall nook had some library system where you could "borrow" virtual copies then return them or something

Not sure if Prime helps with Kindle discounts but I know they have a program called Kindle Unlimited. I believe it's a monthly fee then you get access to a selection of books that you can read as you like. Basically an all you can eat book plan. I've never personally used it so not sure how wide the selection is that is included with Unlimited but it may be worth looking in to if you read a lot.

Not sure if Prime helps with Kindle discounts but I know they have a program called Kindle Unlimited. I believe it's a monthly fee then you get access to a selection of books that you can read as you like. Basically an all you can eat book plan. I've never personally used it so not sure how wide the selection is that is included with Unlimited but it may be worth looking in to if you read a lot.

$10/m ugh hate monthly billing. However, all you can read books sounds awesome. I'm a pretty fast reader. I read the eragon books in about a week each like 2 years back

Id say if getting to a library is difficult, then get an ereader.

Lazier solution to your reading needs.

Alright so I think I'll get one, anyone have suggestions? I definently want to keep it cheap

I have a Kindle paper white and i recently upgraded to the 2015 version, it is great! I love it, plus i save on books  :ph34r: it's paid for it self way better than a tablet. 10/10

You can pick up it up on amazon: for 149

Also the kindle(non backlit) is 79 (would recommend the paperwhite)

Check local classifieds maybe someone is dumping their last gen paperwhite :D

Edit: just check kijiji GTA saw one last gen with cover for $100 bucks. not to shabby

I have a Kindle paper white and i recently upgraded to the 2015 version, it is great! I love it, plus i save on books  :ph34r: it's paid for it self way better than a tablet. 10/10

You can pick up it up on amazon: for 149

Also the kindle(non backlit) is 79 (would recommend the paperwhite)

Check local classifieds maybe someone is dumping their last gen paperwhite :D

Edit: just check kijiji GTA saw one last gen with cover for $100 bucks. not to shabby

My local classifieds are stupid lol, people think it gains $100 in value because they used it for a year

http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Special-Current-Generation/dp/B00KDRQEYQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1441515374&sr=8-7&keywords=kindle+paperwhite

is this the same thing?

My local classifieds are stupid lol, people think it gains $100 in value because they used it for a year

http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Special-Current-Generation/dp/B00KDRQEYQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1441515374&sr=8-7&keywords=kindle+paperwhite

is this the same thing?

The Kindle in your link is the non-backlit version. That would be the refurbished Paperwhite model:

http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Paperwhite-Resolution-Next-Gen/dp/B00CTTJRTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441516548&sr=8-1&keywords=certified+refurbished+kindle+paperwhite&pebp=1441516567493&perid=01ZNNSB1HN0TNWB35436

I also have a Paperwhite and I highly recommend it, it has higher ppi over the regular Kindle and backlight, which is worth the premium imo.

The Kindle in your link is the non-backlit version. That would be the refurbished Paperwhite model:

http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Paperwhite-Resolution-Next-Gen/dp/B00CTTJRTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441516548&sr=8-1&keywords=certified+refurbished+kindle+paperwhite&pebp=1441516567493&perid=01ZNNSB1HN0TNWB35436

I also have a Paperwhite and I highly recommend it, it has higher ppi over the regular Kindle and backlight, which is worth the premium imo.

I'll check it out in the morning

I must say, i've been trying to read books on my tablet. You get rather tired after prolonged use. I got myself an e-reader and i must say it's a completly different story. With the reader i can read for hours on end without geting tired. So if you need something solely for reading, I reccomend getting an e-reader

CPU: i7 5930k @4.3 GHz, Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe, RAM: 32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 (2400 MHz), GPU: 2 x Gigabyte gtx 970 G1 Gaming @ 1500 MHz,

Case: Corsair obsidian 750d, Storage: Samsung 850 Pro ssd (512GB) and 3TB WD Black, PSU: Coolermaster v850, Display: Asus Rog swift,                             

Cooling: Coolermaster Nepton 280L, Keyboard: Corsair Vengence K70 RGB (Mx-red), Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Optical, Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR paired with Audioengine A5+ 

If you like read books- get an reader with e-ink display... And better to NOT be a Kindle- it won't be able to open some e-book formats... 

But most importantly is to STAY AWAY FROM TABLETS- they are NOT readers.  

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

I personally like to read paper books, and just order them from Amazon and they will be here the next day.

If you do want a e-reader, get one with e-ink... as a tablet is not meant to be a book reader.

Alright so I think I'll get one, anyone have suggestions? I definently want to keep it cheap

Also if you have prime you get access to kindle's library for free i believe, also to load any book onto a kindle just use calibre, a libary program that will convert any e-book for your kindle.

Last gen paperwhite Refurb $100:

http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Paperwhite-Resolution-Next-Gen/dp/B00CTTJRTU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441553415&sr=8-3&keywords=kindle+paperwhite+refurb

Also if you have prime you get access to kindle's library for free i believe, also to load any book onto a kindle just use calibre, a libary program that will convert any e-book for your kindle.

Last gen paperwhite Refurb $100:

http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Paperwhite-Resolution-Next-Gen/dp/B00CTTJRTU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441553415&sr=8-3&keywords=kindle+paperwhite+refurb

http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Special-Current-Generation/dp/B00KDRQEYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1441555721&sr=1-1&keywords=kindle+paperwhite

This one seems to be the same thing for significantly cheaper and it is in stock. Its the same thing, right?

No that one doesn't come with "backlighting" and the display has a lower ppi,  i would suggest going for the paperwhite but this is a good option, i tend to read in bed so the paperwhite's lighting makes it easier.

Here are some used sold on amazon marketplace:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007OZNZQ0/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

No that one doesn't come with "backlighting" and the display has a lower ppi,  i would suggest going for the paperwhite but this is a good option, i tend to read in bed so the paperwhite's lighting makes it easier.

Here are some used sold on amazon marketplace:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007OZNZQ0/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Do you know anything about this nook?

http://www.amazon.com/Barnes-Noble-Touchscreen-Technology-Expansion/dp/B00X043LE0/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1441567845&sr=1-4&keywords=nook+glowlight

If its not better, I might just get that $65 amazon kindle because I don't think back lighting and a bit higher resolution are worth 60$

If you read much buy an e-reader, i got my wife an e-reader 2 years ago.

She told me she wasn't going to use it mutch, but after a couple of weeks she was using it every day!

Last vacation she broke the e-reader, i needed to go to the store to get a new one a.s.a.p.

Get a e-reader with back-light and a cover for traveling, i think sony stopped making them but kindle is also good.

Don't you just love tech?

Do you know anything about this nook?

http://www.amazon.com/Barnes-Noble-Touchscreen-Technology-Expansion/dp/B00X043LE0/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1441567845&sr=1-4&keywords=nook+glowlight

If its not better, I might just get that $65 amazon kindle because I don't think back lighting and a bit higher resolution are worth 60$

Yea the nook glowlight is good it is better than the unbacklit kindle and slightly worse than the paperwhite for your budget i would recommend it.