help zotac 980 ti amp high idle tempatures

i dont know how comfortable i am removing the cooler

In that case, return the cards if you can and get perhaps EVGA or Asus or Gigabyte ones, or contact Zotac and see if they can help you.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

i dont know how comfortable i am removing the cooler

Have you measured the temperature while you are utilizing the GPU?  Such as when playing a game.

If your idle temp is 62 and while playing a game the temp remains more or less close to that you may simply have a faulty temp reading.  Or if the idle temp is 62 and your gaming temp goes up above 80-90, either the temperature monitor is badly calibrated or definitely something wrong with the cards. The GPU components may be perfectly fine but Zotac but the temperature sensors could be faulty.

Of course this is assuming it is a hardware fault and not software issues, such as some hidden task utilizing the GPU and making the system think there isn't any load.

Oh and one more question, what is your room's ambient temperature?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer