i5 4460 or i3 4170 for HTPC

Streaming 4k content to multiple 4k monitors and/or 4k TV @ 60hz. Also would be my regular workstation. Which would be a better and why. $185 is my max for the CPU. 

i5 you wont be happy with 2 cores

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

i5 you wont be happy with 2 cores

I've seen pentiums handle the workload... i'm pretty sure an i3 can. 

I've seen pentiums handle the workload... i'm pretty sure an i3 can. 

You have seen ... in the land where honey flows and data is a visible good ...

I can't proof anything either but I am pretty sure an i5 is better. Lookingat my i7 having problems encoding and playing 4K Youtube content I think the experience would benot fun with an i5 ... but all this is just pure thought son my side... not proof ... but I'd quite like to be probren wrong.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

You have seen ... in the land where honey flows and data is a visible good ...

I can't proof anything either but I am pretty sure an i5 is better. Lookingat my i7 having problems encoding and playing 4K Youtube content I think the experience would benot fun with an i5 ... but all this is just pure thought son my side... not proof ... but I'd quite like to be probren wrong.

My i5 has no problem with 4k on youtube... probs your internet. 

My i5 has no problem with 4k on youtube... probs your internet. 

@Zayzo do you think a 4170 can be enough cpu for a GTX 950? That is the graphics card i will eventually get. 

Thanks. 

I don't think you will have enough I/O to really output 60Hz to multiple 4K monitors. One is fine though.

EDIT: Yeah, hdmi 2.0 but only display port 1.2 :/ got to think about that.

3.Use

I don't think you will have enough I/O to really output 60Hz to multiple 4K monitors. One is fine though.

EDIT: Yeah, hdmi 2.0 but only display port 1.2 :/ got to think about that.

Only planning on having 2 4k monitors. The SSC model has 3 display and 1 cdmi 2.0. I just want to make sure that I have a cpu that can power it without lag. 

Display 1.2 can push 4k at 60hz.