Raid 5 recovery

tommy-b-10
Go to solution Solved by Altecice,

You're going to need another drive of the same size as the RAID to recover onto. Recovery programs wont (or will warn) you about rewriting over recovering disks due to the high chance of writing over non-recovered data.

I stupidly deleted my hardware raid 5 array and don't know how to get it back.

3x 2tb drives running off a Intel raid card which I can access through raid web console.

I deleted my array be accident :(

Is there a way to get my data back? I attempted to create a new array but Windows just showed it as un allocated.

I am willing to try reclaime's raid recovery but I don't have a spare 4tb hard drive anywhere to save the data too. Will that be my only option?

Cheers!

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

You're going to need another drive of the same size as the RAID to recover onto. Recovery programs wont (or will warn) you about rewriting over recovering disks due to the high chance of writing over non-recovered data.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Alright so theres no real way to get the array back using the intel software?

If I purchase 2 more 2tb drives, raid them together for a single 4tb volume, can I then copy the contents onto there and then rebuild the array using the old 3 disks, then add those 2 to the array? haha

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

Alright so theres no real way to get the array back using the intel software?

If I purchase 2 more 2tb drives, raid them together for a single 4tb volume, can I then copy the contents onto there and then rebuild the array using the old 3 disks, then add those 2 to the array? haha

Err well that depends. If your recovery software needs to recover the FULL volume you will need x3 2tb to recover onto. But after you have recoever the data then yeah you can move it back. Just be aware that using the disks for any kind of writes (system on) will mean you will loose some data.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Err well that depends. If your recovery software needs to recover the FULL volume you will need x3 2tb to recover onto. But after you have recoever the data then yeah you can move it back. Just be aware that using the disks for any kind of writes (system on) will mean you will loose some data.

I believe reclaime can output just the files not the entire volume. What do you mean by any kind of writes?

EDIT: Just finished scanning using reclaime and I can access all of the files! So should all I have to do now is to get 2x 2tb drives and copy them in?

Thanks!

I managed to recover all of my files to the 2 new drives, then created a new raid 5 using the old 3 drives and transferred the files back over.

After this I got a degraded array message, turns out on of the original 3 drives had failed. I replaced it with a new one and began the rebuild process, however its been 3 days and its only at 45% completed.

Is there something wrong with this or is that normal?

I managed to recover all of my files to the 2 new drives, then created a new raid 5 using the old 3 drives and transferred the files back over.

After this I got a degraded array message, turns out on of the original 3 drives had failed. I replaced it with a new one and began the rebuild process, however its been 3 days and its only at 45% completed.

Is there something wrong with this or is that normal?

Perfectly normal im afraid :(

Perfectly normal im afraid :(

Weird for only 6tb I'd think :(

Anyway it completed last night :D jumped from 50% to done haha. Now I have added another drive so it's doing it all over again :P much faster though