GTX 660 SLI?

Go to solution Solved by PineappleHolidays,

What about the siblings and their 8400 GS issue...  (and the painful 800x600 G-mod)

Although...  I do have 3 and would have only two 660s.

You could still get them better gpu's, a second hand card ( in the lines of 7850 ) would be a great upgrade for them.

Giving then the 660's is forcing yourself to buy a cuda card and paying more to simply use it for a few months

Howdy!

I've found a Refurbished EVGA superclocked GTX 660 for $115 on Newegg.  I can't really decide if I want to SLI or not in my wait for Pascal and keep in mind my siblings have 8400 GS GPUs so...  Birthday presents/ sales in the future?

I mostly do Gaming on Indie games like Space Engineers, and Civ V, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Skyrim.  Now, most of these I can get 100 FPS (though I want 144 due to my 144hz VG248QE)  My need isn't all that great though, but I am capable of doing SLI with my good 600W PSU (enough) and a i7 4790K @ 4.0 Ghz + 16GB RAM.
Will it help me do Autocad through the end of this year and later on as I am just starting to use it?

How Solid is SLI nowadays on a modern Z97 motherboard with Windows 7?  Linux?

I'd love to have an ENB in Skyrim too...  This would allow it to give me 60 FPS hopefully.

Any input and opinion is valid.  However, I do NOT want a suggestion for something other than a GTX 660 as SLI will outperform nearly everything all the way past $200...  So I would be wasting money at that point.

Current GPU:  ASUS DCUII GTX 660 2GB

Proposed:

EVGA SC 660

ASUS DCUII 660

(2-way SLI 2GB)

I hope I didn't confuse anybody!  Thank you for your input in advance.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

I'm not sure if ANY of those games support SLI. 

Get someone to check with you.

I've read that Skyrim for instance has good scaling, Space Engineers got a Nvidia driver update for help, Sins...  idk actually but it won't matter much as it's CPU bound & I get 144FPS regardless.

As for Civ...  I can't find it past sites that put Civ Beyond earth with GTA V...    Google searches...

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

I would sell it and buy a more powerful single card. 

It's what I will do when Pascal comes out.

Either wait and get a new gpu at xmass with the gift money ( pascal or other if it's out )

or sell it and get a better gpu, second hand 780 or other

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Don't know if I would consider Skyrim an Indie game :P

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

What about the siblings and their 8400 GS issue...  (and the painful 800x600 G-mod)

I would sell it and buy a more powerful single card. 

I'm not sure if ANY of those games support SLI. 

Get someone to check with you.

Either wait and get a new gpu at xmass with the gift money ( pascal or other if it's out )

or sell it and get a better gpu, second hand 780 or other

Don't know if I would consider Skyrim an Indie game :P

ha ha, I just threw it in there because of my lazy typing!

Don't!  

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

ha ha, I just threw it in there because of my lazy typing!

xD

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

You could still get them better gpu's, a second hand card ( in the lines of 7850 ) would be a great upgrade for them.

Giving then the 660's is forcing yourself to buy a cuda card and paying more to simply use it for a few months

What you said makes sense, but I won't force myself into giving them away but I would sell them for like $80-$120 as they will be worth then unless I feel like gifting them.  I'll only get rid of them after I buy and INSTALL a Nvidia Pascal GPU.  Yes, a 7850/660/650 TI Boost/7870/265 would be a good upgrade for them too and I may just have them buy it from ebay and keep my 660 as an extra 960 CUDA cores on hand (and get a new PSU instead)

Which is an interesting idea already...  a PSU now instead...           It's nice to have time.

I'll probably not upgrade to SLI, thanks.

Your absolutely right about the 7850, a Used GPU for $60 Buy it Now (forgot shippng) but in comparison, there are used 660s for $80-90 in short 0 bid bids or buy it now.  Hard to beat that deal.

Sorry about bothering you, but I have a question,

Can a Nvidia GPU run in less than 8x (no SLI?)

Say I have a setup like this (if I for some reason has SLI at one point)

x8 3.0 Pascal GPU

x4 3.0 660

x4 2.0 660

Would I still be able to use the CUDA?  In total I could achieve around 6k CUDA cores if it worked (assuming 4096 on the Pascal)  Is it worth it since it is a low TDP card, the 660?

At 100$ you can start looking at 7950.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

At 100$ you can start looking at 7950.

or a 660 to SLI which will be far faster (in combination albeit, SLI)

Still, thanks for the heads up!  If I go looking for a GPU for a sibling, I'll remember what you said.

Excuse me,

Do you know is a Nvidia GPU can run in 4x without SLI?

What do you mean with your question?

Spoiler

What do you mean with your question?

PCI-E 3.0 x4 as opposed to x8 and the optimal x16.  SLI for example, is restricted to only using x16 and x8 PCI-E

Can Nvidia GPUs run without SLI in lower multipliers of PCI-E such as x4?

Sorry about bothering you, but I have a question,

Can a Nvidia GPU run in less than 8x (no SLI?)

Say I have a setup like this (if I for some reason has SLI at one point)

x8 3.0 Pascal GPU

x4 3.0 660

x4 2.0 660

Would I still be able to use the CUDA?  In total I could achieve around 6k CUDA cores if it worked (assuming 4096 on the Pascal)  Is it worth it since it is a low TDP card, the 660?

wait the 660's won't run in sli 4x ( I don't think )

wait the 660's won't run in sli 4x ( I don't think )

Could they "Just Run" which was what I meant?  Like as solely a CUDA card later on?