New Windows License?

Interfectorem
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

In your case, following the End User License Agreement which you agreed upon, you need to purchase a new license of Windows.

That is the downside of OEM. You save a bit, but if you upgrade your motherboard, you need to buy a new license of Windows.

I'll try to keep this short. I'll soon be upgrading my CPU, Motherboard, and RAM (Skylake) from my current system listed in my signature. When I first put together this system, I purchased this copy of Windows 8.1 OEM. I've since then done the free upgrade to Windows 10. My question is, will I have to purchase a new copy of Windows whenever I upgrade my CPU, Motherboard, and RAM? I've heard of people giving Microsoft a call and de-activating Windows on the old machine or something along those lines. Any work-arounds that people on here may know? Thanks in advanced for your help

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

In your case, following the End User License Agreement which you agreed upon, you need to purchase a new license of Windows.

That is the downside of OEM. You save a bit, but if you upgrade your motherboard, you need to buy a new license of Windows.

I'll try to keep this short. I'll soon be upgrading my CPU, Motherboard, and RAM (Skylake) from my current system listed in my signature. When I first put together this system, I purchased this copy of Windows 8.1 OEM. I've since then done the free upgrade to Windows 10. My question is, will I have to purchase a new copy of Windows whenever I upgrade my CPU, Motherboard, and RAM? I've heard of people giving Microsoft a call and de-activating Windows on the old machine or something along those lines. Any work-arounds that people on here may know? Thanks in advanced for your help

If you make any major changes to the system windows will deactivate and you have to call Microsoft to have it sorted out, that's the only official way with out spending money on a new license.

--Edit-- 

How ever its an OEM license which is non-transferable and can't be used on a system other then the system it was intended for.

Understood. Thank you!

If you make any major changes to the system windows will deactivate and you have to call Microsoft to have it sorted out, that's the only official way with out spending money on a new license.

--Edit-- 

How ever its an OEM license which is non-transferable and can't be used on a system other then the system it was intended for.

Have you guys ever used G2A.com or reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap to purchase Windows licenses? I'm not too sure about their trustworthiness and if purchasing from there will come back later to bite me in the ass.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Either it'll activate smoothly or it won't. Any workaround would be illegal. We are not going to help you with that. :D

I understand, I don't want to go the illegal route either. 

Have you guys ever used G2A.com or reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap to purchase Windows licenses? I'm not too sure about their trustworthiness and if purchasing from there will come back later to bite me in the ass.

Hmm no sorry. I never tried nor any friend or family that tried.

I think they are few threads on the forum where people asked, you should check them out.

Understood. Thank you!

I would not recommend it, there is no guarantee that you're getting a legitimate license from sources other then Microsoft.

Hmm no sorry. I never tried nor any friend or family that tried.

I think they are few threads on the forum where people asked, you should check them out.

I would not recommend it, there is no guarantee that you're getting a legitimate license from sources other then Microsoft.

Alright, well thanks a ton for the help. Looks like I'll just save some of my extra tip money instead of blowing it on stupid things.

Alright, well thanks a ton for the help. Looks like I'll just save some of my extra tip money instead of blowing it on stupid things.

USB version of Windows 10 is coming soon. Might be a cool to get that instead of the disk. I mean, if you are waiting.

If you really want Windows 10 now, you can be part of the Windows Insider program. You get Windows 10 for free as long as you stay part of the program. That is you get the latest greatest Windows 10 builds as they come out. But you need to keep it updated, and Microsoft asks you for feedback which you are expected to complete at least some of them based on the license agreement. So it could an interesting choice. Free Windows 10, in exchange of providing feedback and being a beta tester. You are kinda forced to upgrade to the latest builds every time one is released however. You have a nice grace period, but if you have a small monthly bandwidth limit from your service provider, it could be a problem.

Currently Windows 10 official release is Build 10240.

Insider Preview build at the moment of this posting is: 10525

Here is what is new, and the known issues: https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/08/18/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10525/

You can make a USB or DVD of Win10 right from the media creation tool. Now I personally went with buying the serial key right from Microsoft that way you don't need to remember it just login with your email address since it gets tied to it, you also get the serial key in your email if you do an offline installation if you ever need to.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

I have an OEM copy of 8.1 Pro and you can use it on a new computer. Install Windows 8.1 first. Then once Windows is done installing, follow these instructions. I literally did this 5 days ago. Don't go waste your money on another license when it isn't needed.

To start the Product Activation Wizard, follow these steps:

At the Start screen, swipe in from the right side, or hover your mouse in the upper-right corner of the screen to display the charms menu.

Tap or click the Settings charm.

Tap or click Change PC Settings.

Tap or click Activate Windows.

If your computer is not activated, PC Settings provides instructions that are customized to your activation error. If telephone support can provide help resolve your error, tap or click the appropriate link, that may resemble one of the following:

Activate

Activate by phone

Contact customer support for help.

Once you have activated Windows 8.x, you can upgrade to windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950929

Hardware changes

If you made substantial hardware changes to your PC, such as replacing your hard drive or motherboard, you'll need to activate Windows by phone. To learn how, go to the product activation article.