NAS help please.

Sniper Xls
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Hey guys at the moment I am running  Asustor AS 202TE NAS with 2 2tb wd Reds in raid 0. Now I have a problem at the time I didnt plan on storing much on the NAS maybe movies music so I thought i will RAID 0 them. It hit me that I don't want to loose everything I have downloaded. 

So I am hit with a proble. How do I back all of this up? Do I which  I have planned to do buy a bigger NAS the big brother to the Asustor AS 202TE with 4 bays and run 2 3 tb wd reds in raid 1 move all my data from the first NAS and then have the first NAS for something else?

Other solution I have two 4tb wd blacks I could use one of them to back up all of that NAS to a single drive or use an external ? What do you guys think? 

Hey there Sniper Xls,

Having two WD Red drives in a mirror mode should give you redundancy and better safety in case either of the drives fail. I would recommend that in terms of data safety. A single large drive directly connected to the NAS should be the cheaper option, using it with a simple enclosure, SATA to USB cable (with an extra power source) or a docking station. 

Captain_WD.

Hey guys at the moment I am running  Asustor AS 202TE NAS with 2 2tb wd Reds in raid 0. Now I have a problem at the time I didnt plan on storing much on the NAS maybe movies music so I thought i will RAID 0 them. It hit me that I don't want to loose everything I have downloaded. 

So I am hit with a proble. How do I back all of this up? Do I which  I have planned to do buy a bigger NAS the big brother to the Asustor AS 202TE with 4 bays and run 2 3 tb wd reds in raid 1 move all my data from the first NAS and then have the first NAS for something else?

Other solution I have two 4tb wd blacks I could use one of them to back up all of that NAS to a single drive or use an external ? What do you guys think? 

Hey there Sniper Xls,

Having two WD Red drives in a mirror mode should give you redundancy and better safety in case either of the drives fail. I would recommend that in terms of data safety. A single large drive directly connected to the NAS should be the cheaper option, using it with a simple enclosure, SATA to USB cable (with an extra power source) or a docking station. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Sniper Xls,

Captain_WD.

Nice to find someone from WD themselves :) 

Well I am planning on getting this 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asustor-AS5004T-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B00RW7BXIC/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1439988464&sr=8-4&keywords=Asustor

Then 2 3tb wd reds for raid 1 leave two bays for future use when WD reds come down in price on the 4tb side and have the 1st NAS in raid 1 for 2tb so 5tb in all and a lot safer data sound good?:) 

~snip~

Correct, you should have a pretty solid backup plan accompanied with redundancy on each point. Your data should be pretty safe this way. :) 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Correct, you should have a pretty solid backup plan accompanied with redundancy on each point. Your data should be pretty safe this way. :)

Captain_WD.

Awesome going to leave 2 blank so when I get some spare cash may buy a pair of 6TB WD REDS :) are they as good as they say ? 

Awesome going to leave 2 blank so when I get some spare cash may buy a pair of 6TB WD REDS :) are they as good as they say ? 

WD Red drives are great for NAS and server usage and for putting them in RAID arrays of up to 8 drives. They work pretty safe, quiet and deliver good performance. Larger capacity drives generally have higher speeds compared to smaller ones, so a 6TB WD Red should work pretty fast on top of everything else. :) Here are a bit more details on the drive and it's specs:

Captain_WD.