how to turn Netgear DGN2200v2 into a wireless adapter?

LunaticGTX460

so I bought this little TP-link wn822n v3 wireless USB adapter. and it's nice but it's weak.
I have this Netgear dgn2200vs router that I do not use anymore.
a friend told me I can use it as a stronger form of the wireless usb adapter.
how can I do that? I found something about a firmware called DD-WRT but I do not know how to do that.
can someone explain or show me a tutorial.
I do not have internet anymore. costs too much. and I am only using neighbors wifi atm. please help. thank you

|| CPU Intel i7 3770K || MOBO ASRock H77M || RAM 8GB 1600mhz || HDD 1TB 7200 Sata II || SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB || GPU EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW (boost core 1240mhz) || CPUCooler CM 212 EVO || PSU Seasonic M12II EVO 750W || CASE NZXT Phantom V2 (Pink-lol) || H-Phones Sennheiser HD600 || Gamepad XBox 360 Wireless Controller || Mouse Logitech G102 || K-Board CM Storm Trigger (MX Black) || Monitor Dell P2414H || AV Common Sense ||

I have something similiar, a printer server. I used to use it as a means of connecting to my internet wirelessly and I done it by connecting it to my PC with an ethernet cable, installing the necessary software and setting it up to connect to my router. I encountered a problem which didn't allow me to connect to the router, and it was solved by telling the router to recognise it as a trusted device through giving its MAC address.

ddwrt is a fully fledged linux distribution, it's a complete OS with network capabilities, it's generally considered OpenWRT + a more user friendly GUI .

the general idea is to check if ddwrt supports your brand, your model and the version of your model; after that you download the image that you have to flash, and you flash it usually via a serial port using a TFTP server .

this is the database that you are supposed to use http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

your Netgear dgn2200 is currently unsupported by both ddwrt and openwrt .

a lot of cheap wifi router are supported by ddwrt, you are stuck with the firmware of the original manufacturer .

try to sell your Netgear and buy something new, a new wifi router will cost you 20-30$, otherwise just try to dig inside the panel control of your current router .

ddwrt is a fully fledged linux distribution, it's a complete OS with network capabilities, it's generally considered OpenWRT + a more user friendly GUI .

the general idea is to check if ddwrt supports your brand, your model and the version of your model; after that you download the image that you have to flash, and you flash it usually via a serial port using a TFTP server .

this is the database that you are supposed to use http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

your Netgear dgn2200 is currently unsupported by both ddwrt and openwrt .

a lot of cheap wifi router are supported by ddwrt, you are stuck with the firmware of the original manufacturer .

try to sell your Netgear and buy something new, a new wifi router will cost you 20-30$, otherwise just try to dig inside the panel control of your current router .

wow... this answered each and every question I had. thank you so much.

I decided on just getting a stronger usb wireless adapter. I actually found out my router isn't supported by DD-WRT

but still thank you for the reply.

|| CPU Intel i7 3770K || MOBO ASRock H77M || RAM 8GB 1600mhz || HDD 1TB 7200 Sata II || SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB || GPU EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW (boost core 1240mhz) || CPUCooler CM 212 EVO || PSU Seasonic M12II EVO 750W || CASE NZXT Phantom V2 (Pink-lol) || H-Phones Sennheiser HD600 || Gamepad XBox 360 Wireless Controller || Mouse Logitech G102 || K-Board CM Storm Trigger (MX Black) || Monitor Dell P2414H || AV Common Sense ||