Building a new pc

DubStico

I currently have a 120gb ssd on my laptop and want to use it in my new pc build. The problem I'm having is I don't want to wipe the drive or reinstall Windows. Can I keep all my files and Windows on that ssd and just install all the drivers for the new computer?

I currently have a 120gb ssd on my laptop and want to use it in my new pc build. The problem I'm having is I don't want to wipe the drive or reinstall Windows. Can I keep all my files and Windows on that ssd and just install all the drivers for the new computer?

Yes, you may have to call Microsoft to get the license transferred to the new PC, although you should be fine. Just get rid of any old drivers, programs, etc.

Yes, you may have to call Microsoft to get the license transferred to the new PC, although you should be fine. Just get rid of any old drivers, programs, etc.

This but I think you would have to do a clean install

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

This but I think you would have to do a clean install

No, you can copy it over. It would be better to do a clean install but OP wants to keep his Windows install.

Thanks guys. I'll probably just do a clean install

Hey there DubStico,

You should reinstall your OS along with your drivers in order to avoid any potential compatibility problems between the new hardware and the older drivers. You can keep everything else besides the old boot partition which needs to be reformated. I would recommend that you back up everything from your C drive, format it from the Windows Installer and then do a complete fresh install of the OS. You would need to also reinstall all games and applications (due to the registry). 

Do make sure you run a diagnostic software on the drive since you are reusing a older drive just  to be on the safe side that the drive is still healthy and capable of handling your data. I would recommend using a diagnostic utility provide by the manufacturer of the drive.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/