New build won't boot

jayctech

New build. Having trouble trying to get it to boot.

If need be I can get the names of the actual parts but at the moment - the new parts are the psu, mobo and cpu. Everything else was harvested from a perfectly working machine.

Power LED on mobo indicates it's receiving power. Full disclosure - when I first plugged in the power cable the led didn't turn on. I had to flick the switch on the psu twice (so off and then back on) before the led on the mobo turned on. It has since remained switched on.

What's happening is I press the power button on the tower. Lights turn on (gpu, front panel etc.), fan starts revving. Lasts for a second at most and there's a faint click sound and the lights go off and the fan stops.

My immediate guess is maybe a faulty psu? It's a 500w and the one in my other build (where the scavenged parts are from) had a 550w so I don't think lack of power would be the issue.

All feedback appreciated!

Side note - even though I've suggested it, please give non-faulty component suggestions.

You might have a broken motherboard. Like me. System shuts itself down after 4 seconds, then reboots and that's it.

UPDATE

Got the computer booting. Issue now is when I go to bios it says cpu fan error. CPU fan is also no longer revving. Any ideas?