Gpu/motherboard problem

CarbonWolf
Go to solution Solved by JebKerman,

all of the red slots on that board a 16x PCIe3, even if for what ever reason they aren't, I'm pretty sure GPU's cannot even saurate an 8x PCIe2 slot, and you certainly wont see a performance difference.

So this is my first build, and I encountered an issue. My motherboard- Asus Rampage V extreme has io decor which makes it impossible to fit my gpu - msi Gtx 980ti with a backplate into the 16x slot, what should I do, I don't want to remove the gpu backplate.

well as a quick and simple fix, you could put it in the next 16X slot

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

No not right now I am not home but I can take one tommorow morning, the backplate is to tall for it to fit under the io cover I guess it is meant for gpus without a backplate

This is an early photo of the build, see how the dim slot for the gpu is flush with the io decor so it will not fit my backplate and i think the next slot down is an 8x slot,so if i put it there will it decrease its performance very much

post-246718-0-14671900-1439098101_thumb.

all of the red slots on that board a 16x PCIe3, even if for what ever reason they aren't, I'm pretty sure GPU's cannot even saurate an 8x PCIe2 slot, and you certainly wont see a performance difference.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

The chipset cover is not interfering with it but I have already put in the next red slot just to make sure it posted so I guess I will just keep it that way. Thanks for your help guys I just wanted to be sure that my system would be doing the best it could be, this is a pic of it with the gpu installed