Future Upgrade Help With Potential Problem

Go to solution Solved by Vertifai,

So it looks like that no recent chipsets from ether AMD nor Intel actually have PCI support (Z77, Z88, 890FX, and 990FX)
Which would mean that any motherboard that uses these chipsets and also has a PCI slot needs to have some kind of PCIe to PCI conversion on the motherboard itself - So in theory a PCIe 1x to PCI adaptor card should work just as well as a PCI slot on any motherboard that uses the Z77, Z88, 890FX, or 990FX chipset

On a further note the Wiki articel on PCIe talks a bit about PCIe backwards compatibility. But only about running PCIe cards in a PCI based system:

At the software level, PCIe preserves backward compatibility with PCI; legacy PCI system software can detect and configure newer PCIe devices without explicit support for the PCIe standard, though PCIe's new features are inaccessible.

So I plan on upgrading my rig within the next ~2 years. But i realize I have a potential issue. I'm currently using a Xonar ST sound card that runs in a PCI slot but I've noticed that all new high end mobo's are exclusively Pci express, is there a possible workaround so i dont have to get a new sound card?

First time posting if this is in the wrong thread please direct me to the correct one.

Current System

Cpu- AMD 1090T OC 4.2GHZ

Memory- 8gb x2 2133 downclocked to 1866

GPU- Radeon 6905 in crossfire

Mobo- Asus ROG Crosshair IV

Sound Card- Asus Xonar ST

Storage-500gb WD black (Need raid or SSD I know)

Try to find a Motherboard with PCI Support i guess , dont know if there are going to be many within 2 years though.

Interested in Business and Technology

Well there is the weird realm of PCI to PCIe 1x adaptors, but quite frankly i don't even know how well they work, and it would look like a bit of a bodge job :(

Thanks for the reply's so far. With an adaptor or possible usb break out box (no idea if this even exist) would there be a noticable amount of latency in my games/movies? from the looks so far im going to be SOL, i might end up keeping my current system (will post in original post) and just upgrade my graphic cards to keep up with current gen games.

So it looks like that no recent chipsets from ether AMD nor Intel actually have PCI support (Z77, Z88, 890FX, and 990FX)
Which would mean that any motherboard that uses these chipsets and also has a PCI slot needs to have some kind of PCIe to PCI conversion on the motherboard itself - So in theory a PCIe 1x to PCI adaptor card should work just as well as a PCI slot on any motherboard that uses the Z77, Z88, 890FX, or 990FX chipset

On a further note the Wiki articel on PCIe talks a bit about PCIe backwards compatibility. But only about running PCIe cards in a PCI based system:

At the software level, PCIe preserves backward compatibility with PCI; legacy PCI system software can detect and configure newer PCIe devices without explicit support for the PCIe standard, though PCIe's new features are inaccessible.

here ya go http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

high end board with one pci slot. there lots mobos that have this slot. im assuming you are sticking with amd. not sure where you get the idea pci is fazed out. most boards still have them.

Amd fx-8320 oc 4.1ghz, 8gb ram, gtx 780ti 3gb, 240gb ssd, 1.5tb hdd,

here ya go http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

high end board with one pci slot. there lots mobos that have this slot. im assuming you are sticking with amd. not sure where you get the idea pci is fazed out. most boards still have them.

He said that he is going to be upgrading his in roughly 2 years time. I'm not sure that in two years that there will be many motherboards with PCI

(On a side note you can still get socket 1155 boards with ISA! http://www2.ibase.com.tw/productView.aspx?id=152#productview)

He said that he is going to be upgrading his in roughly 2 years time. I'm not sure that in two years that there will be many motherboards with PCI

(On a side note you can still get socket 1155 boards with ISA! http://www2.ibase.com.tw/productView.aspx?id=152#productview)

I am not sure if AMD will be still in desktop CPU/Mobo business in 2 years...

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU