My machine froze IN the BIOS

Sn4tchBandicoot
Go to solution Solved by ExcitezR,

might just be a glitch 

So i was checking a setting in my BIOS just now and all of a sudden it froze!

Cursor wouldn't move, keyboard wouldn't register, nothing at all. Obviously is required a hard reboot due to this.

I have never actually had this happen to me on any machine before so I am unsure of what to make of it, everything is running the BIOS defaults, so no overclock at all, the BIOS is as up to date as Asus has.

What can cause this? I have also been having random reboots and Blue Screens lately as well so that may be linked to this.

Motherboard: MSI G45 | CPU: Intel i7 4790K | RAM: 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | SSD: 2x Samsung 840 Evo 256GB | Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW | PSU: Corsair HX650W | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Fans: 6x Corsair SP120's | Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition | OS: Windows 10

Faulty RAM probably

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I have tested the memory usign the onboard MemOK! button, but I should probably use memtest

Faulty RAM probably

Motherboard: MSI G45 | CPU: Intel i7 4790K | RAM: 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | SSD: 2x Samsung 840 Evo 256GB | Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW | PSU: Corsair HX650W | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Fans: 6x Corsair SP120's | Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition | OS: Windows 10

might just be a glitch 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

If you have more than one stick of RAM, test the system by removing the sticks one by one.

When it no longer BSODs, displaying errors or behaving weird, you just found one faulty stick of RAM.

If this doesn't work, it might be the motherboard itself. :S

If you have more than one stick of RAM, test the system by removing the sticks one by one.

When it no longer BSODs, displaying errors or behaving weird, you just found one faulty stick of RAM.

If this doesn't work, it might be the motherboard itself. :S

I will run a memtest instead, it's entirely randoms as to when it blue screens, and it's not always memory management or memory related crashes, I think it was just a lot more windows than anything.

I will run a memtest instead, it's entirely randoms as to when it blue screens, and it's not always memory management or memory related crashes, I think it was just a lot more windows than anything.

I think that's a smart move, so we can find out if there is anything related that can lead to RAM problems.

So I set the computer to run a memtesk (passmark memtest) and left at ~60% on pass one, come back and my machine had booted back to windows, I am going to assume that there was a power failure somewhere along the line and it continued with normal boot.

@Raffy98

So I set the computer to run a memtesk (passmark memtest) and left at ~60% on pass one, come back and my machine had booted back to windows, I am going to assume that there was a power failure somewhere along the line and it continued with normal boot.

@Raffy98

Try re-running memtest. :/

I assume that's not normal? :P

I am also going to look into getting a power supply tester as well, should come in handy.

I assume that's not normal? :P

I am also going to look into getting a power supply tester as well, should come in handy.

Yea, they are sold for 15€ on amazon... relatively cheap.

I can't see it actually being a RAM issue at this point considering that it was testing the ram and rebooted, it should have just stayed with the test and counted it as an error