Wlan and routers

elmo

Hi guys , just a question so 1 of my outlets use a wireless router and apparently people are always having problems connecting  .. i believe its because the wireless router can only cater to 30 users at the same time . And another  thing is i believe my neighbours are also using our network .

So basically my question is , what wireless router /ap would you recommend ? I need to be able to limit each user ./down/up speed and increase user capacity ..

My outlet runs more then 15 hours/day so basically routers are on almost 24/7 , so i need something that is capable of that . Let me know a good brand/model and pricing if you have any recomendations ..

You want a router with QOS, you have not told us how much you have to spend on a router.

"There's no test like production!"

Which router do you currently have?

As a general suggestion, I tell people to go for the ASUS N66u, if they can afford it. Great range, great firmware, very fast.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I think im willing to spend about 200 Usd at max , the thing is i want to make sure said device can last for atleast 3 years , and is able to run 24/7

The router in use is D-Link Dir-615

The router in use is D-Link Dir-615

The DIR-615 will struggle with 30 users, with large numbers of users on stock firmware they tend to die occasionally and require a reset.

For 30+ users you probably want to be looking at a whole different category of access point, We use WNDAP360's for access points but they are just AP's so you would need something else as a router (the 615 should be fine just as a router, it's the wifi that won't cope as it's designed for home use with only a handful of users)

Current Rig (Ongoing Build)

Spec:- 4770K | GTX 780 | 32Gb 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro | CaseLabs TH10 | 2 x 840 Pro RAID 0 | 3 x 3Tb WD Red RAID 5 | Maximus VI Formula | LSI MegaRAID 9271

Cooling (Ongoing Build) :- EK CSQ Clean | EK FC Titan | 3 x BlackIce SR-1 480mm | NB eLoop Fans | Aquaero 5 XT | Dual D5 | Aqualis XT Res

The DIR-615 will struggle with 30 users, with large numbers of users on stock firmware they tend to die occasionally and require a reset.

For 30+ users you probably want to be looking at a whole different category of access point, We use WNDAP360's for access points but they are just AP's so you would need something else as a router (the 615 should be fine just as a router, it's the wifi that won't cope as it's designed for home use with only a handful of users)

If i disable my router wireless and use the WNDAP360 as the AP will that work?  Or do i need both enabled.. ? Never tried this before so just wondering

I would go for an ASUS N66u, or wait till the new ASUS AC router comes out.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Edgemax lite + Unfi AP but this is more likely over your skill level, i would look at the Linksys cisco routers

"There's no test like production!"

I would go for an ASUS N66u, or wait till the new ASUS AC router comes out.

Hasn't the AC66U been out for a while? I second the recommendation for the ASUS routers. Have been nothing but great in my experience, but they are a bit pricey.

Hasn't the AC66U been out for a while? I second the recommendation for the ASUS routers. Have been nothing but great in my experience, but they are a bit pricey.

It has but they are realising a new one that improves a lot of things. Because currently, the AC66u doesn't have mimo, but the new one will (so it should have higher speeds).

15" MBP TB