Can't shrink drive

Uwillparish

Hi there,

I have a sandisk ultra plus 256gb ssd that is my c:/ that im trying to shrink to add a partition for windows 10, and i have clear 50gb on my ssd, but it will only let me shrink it by 2120mb, What do?

From my understanding once you have partitioned a drive you can't just make that partition smaller. You will need to completely reformat the drive and create 2 blank partitions, then re-install your os and your personal files.

As far as I know, you need to do this before you install an OS to the drive. It's usually not possible to change the size of your partition once the drive is initialised, in use and definetly not when you have an OS installed.

If you want to try WIN10 I'd recommend getting an ISO and installing it on virtualbox or VMware.

I presume you are trying to resize the partition from Windows disk management? Is the current partition covering the whole drive?

If you aren't having any luck with Windows you might be able to do it with GParted from a Linux LiveCD. There is a standalone GParted ISO you can use for this:

http://gparted.org/livecd.php

You can definitely shrink a partition on any drive so long as there is free space, not sure what those above were talking about.

Best of luck :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

I presume you are trying to resize the partition from Windows disk management? Is the current partition covering the whole drive?

If you aren't having any luck with Windows you might be able to do it with GParted from a Linux LiveCD. There is a standalone GParted ISO you can use for this:

http://gparted.org/livecd.php

You can definitely shrink a partition on any drive so long as there is free space, not sure what those above were talking about.

Best of luck :)

you replied just a little late, already used easyus and it worked, thanks for the suggestion though

I had this exact same problem when i set up my dual boot.  I used a program called partition master and I was able to use all the space that windows did not allow me to use.  The program was very easy to use, but i don't think it was free.

hahaha thats crazy, EaseUS partition master :)