Phantom Power for condenser mic inquiry

Xtreme Gamer
Go to solution Solved by TheGeeker,

I got another question if you don't mind. If the mic is already decent loudness. Would the Phantom Power still make it louder, or not?

I am not sure about that. We had mics at my school that didn't need phantom power and we gave them 48v of it and they functioned after but we did not try to use them with the power on. 

I am planning on buying a phantom power supply for my condenser mic. My question is, do I need phantom power If I connect my condenser mic which is xlr to xlr (10ft extension cable) to an xlr to 3.5mm jack to my soundblaster zx sound card?

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Will it make the signal louder?

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

Will it make the signal louder?

Yes. If you have a quiet mic it ned phantom power. Fixed mine. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

I use the inno gear one my self. Nice metal box does what it needs to.

I use the inno gear one my self. Nice metal box does what it needs to.

I just thought of one other concern. If I daisy chain 2 or more xlr cables together. Will that make the signal quieter?

I just thought of one other concern. If I daisy chain 2 or more xlr cables together. Will that make the signal quieter?

No

I got another question if you don't mind. If the mic is already decent loudness. Would the Phantom Power still make it louder, or not?

I am not sure about that. We had mics at my school that didn't need phantom power and we gave them 48v of it and they functioned after but we did not try to use them with the power on. 

This is not what phantom power is for. Phantom power is needed for ribbon an condenser/capacitor mics because they by giving electrical charge to a plate and the diaphragm. Dynamic mics do not need phantom power. +48V does not have any impact on volume.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Nooooo that's not how this works D:

Nooooo that's not how this works D:

EDIT: read your post above

I was talk specificity about condenser mics. 

EDIT: read your post above

I was talk specificity about condenser mics. 

Like I said, Phantom Power does not make microphones louder. A condenser mic just plain doesn't work without it

Like I said, Phantom Power does not make microphones louder. A condenser mic just plain doesn't work without it

Can you explain to me why my BM700 condenser mic works without phantom power when plugged directly into my soundblaster zx sound card? But it still works even with the phantom power supply in the line between mic and pc soundcard?

Can you explain to me why my BM700 condenser mic works without phantom power when plugged directly into my soundblaster zx sound card? But it still works even with the phantom power supply in the line between mic and pc soundcard?

It's an electret condenser microphone, which means the diaphragm and plate are biased during manufacturing. These aren't too common on lower end microphones. Also, applying phantom power to electret microphones can damage them over time.

It's an electret condenser microphone, which means the diaphragm and plate are biased during manufacturing. These aren't too common on lower end microphones. Also, applying phantom power to electret microphones can damage them over time.

So you're saying to not plug my phantom power to my bm700 then right? I am confused? Do I use what I bought or not? And I still didn't get a clear answer as to why my bm700 mic works with and without the phantom power. Can you please elaborate????

So you're saying to not plug my phantom power to my bm700 then right? I am confused? Do I use what I bought or not? And I still didn't get a clear answer as to why my bm700 mic works with and without the phantom power. Can you please elaborate????

Do not use your BM700 microphone with phantom power. you said earlier that it already worked without phantom power, but for some reason you decided to buy a power supply for it. The internet calls it a condenser microphone, but the only condenser microphones that can work without phantom power are electret microphones, because they are biased during the manufacturing process, thus they can sometimes be damaged by applying phantom power to them.

Do not use your BM700 microphone with phantom power. you said earlier that it already worked without phantom power, but for some reason you decided to buy a power supply for it. The internet calls it a condenser microphone, but the only condenser microphones that can work without phantom power are electret microphones, because they are biased during the manufacturing process, thus they can sometimes be damaged by applying phantom power to them.

I bought it because a forum member from earlier in this thread had convinced me to buy one. And when you said sometimes be damaged, are you saying that phantom power wont always damage an electret mic if mine really isnt condenser? I just really don't want to return the phantom power supply if my mic really can use it. Also, if possible, if I post some pic of my mic can you still tell me if it's an electret and not a condenser mic??

I bought it because a forum member from earlier in this thread had convinced me to buy one. And when you said sometimes be damaged, are you saying that phantom power wont always damage an electret mic if mine really isnt condenser? I just really don't want to return the phantom power supply if my mic really can use it. Also, if possible, if I post some pic of my mic can you still tell me if it's an electret and not a condenser mic??

I really can't tell. If you google it, it calls it a 'dynamic condenser' which means shit all being two very different styles of microphone. The fact that you can get it to make noise without a phantom power supply tells me that it run of PiP (plug in power, 5 ish volts from headphone jacks) and is likely to be electret. Any microphone designed to run in this way is likely to be damaged. If it was me, I'd err on the side of caution and return the supply. Running 48V with something designed for 3-5 volts probably isn't a good plan. Also, why did you think you needed to buy it in the first place? Wasn't the microphone already working?

I really can't tell. If you google it, it calls it a 'dynamic condenser' which means shit all being two very different styles of microphone. The fact that you can get it to make noise without a phantom power supply tells me that it run of PiP (plug in power, 5 ish volts from headphone jacks) and is likely to be electret. Any microphone designed to run in this way is likely to be damaged. If it was me, I'd err on the side of caution and return the supply. Running 48V with something designed for 3-5 volts probably isn't a good plan. Also, why did you think you needed to buy it in the first place? Wasn't the microphone already working?

It was working, but there were videos on youtube of poeple using this model mic with phantom power and mixers and having no problems that you're telling me. And yes it was working before.

Here is one example of the video: https://youtu.be/gJ7WAF7b-OM

It was working, but there were videos on youtube of poeple using this model mic with phantom power and mixers and having no problems that you're telling me. And yes it was working before.

Here is one example of the video: https://youtu.be/gJ7WAF7b-OM

Yep, that noise is no great. I stand by what I said, but it's your choice what you do.

As a musician and recording enthusiast I own an Focusrite Scarlet 2i2  USB audio interface. Those are great because they already have phantom-power on, 2 XLR+3.5 mm jacks and few other nifty things. I don't know how much needed are these things that only want to plug in their headphones and a mic, but for people who want to, for example record some of their music or to have easier control of their volumes, I recomend the 2i2 or Solo, manufactured by the same Focusrite