Hard drive not recognized

Fausto315

I just finished my new rig, and am having some trouble with my drive setup. I have an Intel 730 240gb SSD for my boot drive and a WD green 2tb hard drive. The Sata cable is plugged in fine, but Windows 8.1 is not recognizing my hard drive. I have also installed the sata drivers for my motherboard (Asus x99-a) and rebooted several drives and nothing. Any thoughts to why this is happening and how I can fix it? Thanks.

The drive must be formatted using a third party application or Disk Management.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hold down the "Windows Key" ok your keyboard, then, while it's still held down, tap the "R" key, then release the "Windows Key". At this point the "run" box should have appeared. Type "diskmgmt.msc" (no quotes) in the run box and click ok.

This should open disk management. (Shown Below) 

Your SSD should appear here and can be formatted/allocated from this utility.

oxrYxXr.png

Hdd and ssd are always a pain in the ass to set up, there's always an error [emoji19]

Try on device manager to see if there is something wrong with the sata drivers or something, if that's not the case try to format it with partition wizard, if that doesn't recognize it either try with a live usb of linux or some partition program. Those are the things i usually do when i have issues with tge recognition of drives, i hope it helps

Hdd and ssd are always a pain in the ass to set up, there's always an error [emoji19]

Try on device manager to see if there is something wrong with the sata drivers or something, if that's not the case try to format it with partition wizard, if that doesn't recognize it either try with a live usb of linux or some partition program. Those are the things i usually do when i have issues with tge recognition of drives, i hope it helps

It's usually a case of normal formatting procedure.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

~snip~

Hey Fausto315,

As the guys explained, new drives need to be initialized, partitioned and formatted in the Disk Management before using. When in doubt, you can always check if the drive is properly recognized (model number and capacity) in the BIOS, device manager and disk management. Running a diagnostic tool provided from the manufacturer is also a good idea when you are doubting your drive's performance or health. :) I'm glad you got this solved!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/