First build

hey guys for the last month or two i have been looking into getting a new computer for myself. i have organised a parts list containing the following:

CPU: i7 4770k or i5 4670k

Cooling: H100i

Mobo: Msi z87-g45

GPU: Msi gtx 770 twin frozr

RAM: 16 GB corsair vengeance pro or 8 GB corsair vengeance pro

CASE: Fractal design R4 white windowed

HDD: 1TB WD black

SSD: 120 GB samsung 840 series

PSU: Xigmatek vector s 750w 80+ silver

I'm trying not to get it much more expensive than what it already is but if there is any improvements or suggestions for the build it would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=195375&action=wish_lists

get a i5-4670k and get a wd green drive instead of black since u already have an ssd, get 8gb memory, and get a 240gb ssd

Wait for the 840 EVO to come out in a month or so, and stick with the i5 unless you have some kind of video rendering need to the like. Also, try a PSU from someone like Corsair or Seasonic. You'll thank yourself later, even if it is a couple bucks more expensive.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

hey guys for the last month or two i have been looking into getting a new computer for myself. i have organised a parts list containing the following:

CPU: i7 4770k or i5 4670k

Cooling: H100i

Mobo: Msi z87-g45

GPU: Msi gtx 770 twin frozr

RAM: 16 GB corsair vengeance pro or 8 GB corsair vengeance pro

CASE: Fractal design R4 white windowed

HDD: 1TB WD black

SSD: 120 GB samsung 840 series

PSU: Xigmatek vector s 750w 80+ silver

I'm trying not to get it much more expensive than what it already is but if there is any improvements or suggestions for the build it would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=195375&action=wish_lists

It's a great build overall.

Ready for SLI if you ever want it.

Plenty of RAM with potential to upgrade if you choose.

SSD+HDD combo

Current gen CPU with Water cooling.

I would go with 16GB of Corsair Vengeance Pro in a 2x8GB RAM stick configuration. This means later you can upgrade to 32GB if you ever need it*.

You will likely not "need" 32GB for a very long time, but options are always good. 8GB of RAM is usually the sweet spot for gaming (enough for OS and games), but I like to have the next level up (16GB in this case) and have possibilities to upgrade later myself.

You can use the extra RAM for things like Fancy Cache, RAMDisk, and others if you want to make use of it all the time. And those are very good uses for it imo.

Go with the i5 4670k. You won't need a 4770k for any reason unless you are video editing/rendering.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If you are going to be using this rig only for gaming, I recommend getting the i5 4670k and 8GB of RAM and then put more money towards a GTX 780.

If you are going to be video rendering and such things get 2x8GB RAM so you can expend to 32GB of RAM in the future and stick with the i7 4770k.

Everything else looks good to me. In fact it is a pretty balanced build. 

4670K, step down to 8GB RAM, WD Green instead of Black, solid 600W power supply.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Get the i5, stay with 16GB but buy a cheaper one, Ram is ram, the price does not justify the performance. Get the WD Blue 1 TB, greens are slow (5900rpm) and blacks you're not gonna get any extra speed because of your ssd.

Bugdet? Where you buying ?

Read the thread rules first before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-reccomendations-please-read-before-posting/

4670K, step down to 8GB RAM, WD Green instead of Black, solid 600W power supply.

Why green? It is slower then a black. 120 gb ssd is not going to be enough to store all your games, so you might as well get the slightly faster load times that a black gives over a green.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

Why green? It is slower then a black. 120 gb ssd is not going to be enough to store all your games, so you might as well get the slightly faster load times that a black gives over a green.

That's why WD have the Blue ones.  <_<

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

What's this system going to be used for?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Green drives are very reasonably priced, and they aren't going to make your game load that much faster.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Green drives are very reasonably priced, and they aren't going to make your game load that much faster.

Blues and barracudas should be around the same price with better...everything--well, except for heat and energy consumption but it's not much.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.