Best web design service?

Gabe
Go to solution Solved by cristiand,

If you want to built it yourself go with a CMS like Wordpress, Joomla, or Drupal. They have strong built-in features, documentation, and are FREE out of the box.

If you want something like a shopping cart there's Opencart, PrestaShop, Magento. There are free also, but you pay for extensions or support.

The CMS's also have shopping cart extensions, and expect them to be paid and with support included if paid. 

Do note that you get what you pay for, so even if something is free, it's because you mostly have to figure it out yourself or have to pay for more functionality later on.

I work as an extension developer for Joomla, and will say that there's a learning curve to each of what I listed, but none require any actual programming for their default features. You just need to be able to follow documentation and not be an idiot.

If you want custom features, expect to pay good money for a programmer. And again, you get what you pay for. If you're cheap, you will get shit services.

These are all built with PHP, but there can be other which use .NET, Java, Python. PHP is just used more on the web and you will find programmers easier/cheaper.

Hosting is up to you, but any serious host will handle these.

Let me know if you need more info.

Wanting to build a website for my Dads business, we already own the domain name. It is a car rental service so a Paypal/pay service friendly site would be useful.

I need a software or service and obviously a hosting service (preferably the same service), any suggestions welcome!

Cheers!

Favourite Game: 
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion -[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion]
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is an action role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks and the Take-Two Interactive subsidiary, 2K Games. It is the fourth installment in The Elder Scrolls action fantasy video game series, following The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and preceding The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Oblivion was first released in March 2006. 

Favourite Music: 
Look at my Mixcloud [https://www.mixcloud.com/Gabelele/]  If you want  

PC specs: 

-Pentium G3258 
-GTX 750ti 
-8gb no name RAM 
-MSI h81m-e34 
-240gb Kingston SSD now SSD 
-1tb Seagate baracuda HDD 
-500watt Aero cool 'X-strike' PSU 
-Bitfenix Neos (Blue Y Black) 

- Modded Microsoft -Intelli mouse [linustechtips.com] (thanks to TheRandomness X/) 
-Logitech K120 keyboard 
-ASUS 21.5" 1080p monitor 

No mates facts: 

Favorite tank: Sturmgeschütz III (I understand the Sturmgeschütz series are not technically tanks but infact SPGs, 'got me') 
Favorite Aircraft: Henschel Hs 129

Roles or characters in games: 
WarThunder = Tank destroyer and sometimes my KV-1B if im bored 
CSGO = Sniper, I seem to be able to AWP 'well' apperently 
RPGs in general = Mage or Tank w/ resoration

+1 Squarespace if you don't want to code anything, no other build-your-own website website holds a candle to squarespace 

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

+1 Squarespace if you don't want to code anything, no other build-your-own website website holds a candle to squarespace 

I am not really bothered about coding, i know the ins and outs of html. But not coding would be faster...

Favourite Game: 
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion -[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion]
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is an action role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks and the Take-Two Interactive subsidiary, 2K Games. It is the fourth installment in The Elder Scrolls action fantasy video game series, following The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and preceding The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Oblivion was first released in March 2006. 

Favourite Music: 
Look at my Mixcloud [https://www.mixcloud.com/Gabelele/]  If you want  

PC specs: 

-Pentium G3258 
-GTX 750ti 
-8gb no name RAM 
-MSI h81m-e34 
-240gb Kingston SSD now SSD 
-1tb Seagate baracuda HDD 
-500watt Aero cool 'X-strike' PSU 
-Bitfenix Neos (Blue Y Black) 

- Modded Microsoft -Intelli mouse [linustechtips.com] (thanks to TheRandomness X/) 
-Logitech K120 keyboard 
-ASUS 21.5" 1080p monitor 

No mates facts: 

Favorite tank: Sturmgeschütz III (I understand the Sturmgeschütz series are not technically tanks but infact SPGs, 'got me') 
Favorite Aircraft: Henschel Hs 129

Roles or characters in games: 
WarThunder = Tank destroyer and sometimes my KV-1B if im bored 
CSGO = Sniper, I seem to be able to AWP 'well' apperently 
RPGs in general = Mage or Tank w/ resoration

I would suggest Squarespace unless you have a need to find and hire a local dude. And that feels strange to say because I used to do web design and would have tried to pimp my portfolio to you.

You can also get a 10% discount due to them being an LTT sponsor:  http://www.squarespace.com/linus

There are preconfigured page layouts and standard design components that make it really easy. You and your dad could probably have something good looking whipped up in about a day.

Check out some youtube videos;  Just do a search for "Squarespace Tutorials" And you can see how easy they've made it.

You can integrate any custom systems you might have as well unless they require some over the top private web server.    Check it out, it'll probably do the job.

squarespace is good

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

I think it really depends on how much money you want to spend and your needs. If you want to have something special, that doesn't look like all these other "Squarespace sites" you will need to pay a WebDesigner. This is of course not so cheap, but your site will certainly look different than the standart pages.

But if you like the SquareSpace design (and lots do), so there isn't really the need to pay a lot of money for a Designer. I personally would suggest you to try out SquareSpace (I think they have a free trial?!) and decide then.

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

If you want to built it yourself go with a CMS like Wordpress, Joomla, or Drupal. They have strong built-in features, documentation, and are FREE out of the box.

If you want something like a shopping cart there's Opencart, PrestaShop, Magento. There are free also, but you pay for extensions or support.

The CMS's also have shopping cart extensions, and expect them to be paid and with support included if paid. 

Do note that you get what you pay for, so even if something is free, it's because you mostly have to figure it out yourself or have to pay for more functionality later on.

I work as an extension developer for Joomla, and will say that there's a learning curve to each of what I listed, but none require any actual programming for their default features. You just need to be able to follow documentation and not be an idiot.

If you want custom features, expect to pay good money for a programmer. And again, you get what you pay for. If you're cheap, you will get shit services.

These are all built with PHP, but there can be other which use .NET, Java, Python. PHP is just used more on the web and you will find programmers easier/cheaper.

Hosting is up to you, but any serious host will handle these.

Let me know if you need more info.