Elementary OS file permissions

Go to solution Solved by Lyons,

Got it... all I had to do was right click the file manager from the dock and open a new window as admin  :lol: not used to this OS yet...

Just installed Elementary OS to give it a try on my Thinkpad X220, came from Crunchbang. I love it so far, but I need to edit some system files. How do you open files as root/admin? Can you change file permissions as read AND write? This was so easy in Crunchbang  :P

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I am assuming this is the beta they are advertising on their site? and if so then its built off ubuntu core, so the same way as ubuntu, use sudo :p

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I am assuming this is the beta they are advertising on their site? and if so then its built off ubuntu core, so the same way as ubuntu, use sudo :P

It IS basically Ubuntu, but is there a way I can edit files via the file manager rather than the terminal? All I had to do in Crunchbang was right click the folder I want to edit the contents of and select open as root.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Got it... all I had to do was right click the file manager from the dock and open a new window as admin  :lol: not used to this OS yet...

i would love to hear how you get along with it. 

are you a Linux user usually? 

Loving it so far, using it as the only OS on my X220. Going very well  :) I've come from Crunchbang looking for something new that's also a little lower maintenance. I was looking at trying OSX on my laptop but it's a bit too buggy and updating is a grey area for hardware support, Elementary OS fits the bill perfectly. I tend to use Linux on my laptop and Windows (8 currently) on my desktop. I'm not really satisfied with the Linux alternatives for software like the Adobe collection/etc., plus there's games. I don't have enough time for Linux on my desktop. One day I'll give Arch or Gentoo a go... maybe when I have a whole week free  :P