Great value upgrades(?)

leDomce

Hi, I've been looking for a laptop for a software engineering course and I've came to conclusion that I'll buy this one - 

Acer Aspire E5-571G. (610 USD)
However, I am willing to upgrade it to 8GB RAM and a 250GB SSD drive. My favourites so far are: DDR3 SODIMM Crucial 4GB 1600MHz CL11 1.35V (26,53 USD) and Crucial BX100 250GB SATA3 (100,63 USD)

Is this RAM stick compatible? Shouldn't it be DDR3L?

After these upgrades I'll have a leftower 500 GB HDD which I am going to put into a sata enclosure and use as external hdd, but there are 2 choices: cheaper USB 2.0 and more expensive USB 3.0 enclosures. Would 5400 RPM stock HDD benefit from USB 3.0 or would it simply be an overkill?
The thing is I've never bought hardware on my own before so any tips and/or insights would be extremely helpful. Thanks!  :)

Hi, I've been looking for a laptop for a software engineering course and I've came to conclusion that I'll buy this one - 

Acer Aspire E5-571G. (610 USD)

However, I am willing to upgrade it to 8GB RAM and a 250GB SSD drive. My favourites so far are: DDR3 SODIMM Crucial 4GB 1600MHz CL11 1.35V (26,53 USD) and Crucial BX100 250GB SATA3 (100,63 USD)

Is this RAM stick compatible? Shouldn't it be DDR3L?

After these upgrades I'll have a leftower 500 GB HDD which I am going to put into a sata enclosure and use as external hdd, but there are 2 choices: cheaper USB 2.0 and more expensive USB 3.0 enclosures. Would 5400 RPM stock HDD benefit from USB 3.0 or would it simply be an overkill?

The thing is I've never bought hardware on my own before so any tips and/or insights would be extremely helpful. Thanks!  :) 

DDR3L means low-power DDR3. DDR3 runs at 1.5V. DDR3L runs at 1.35V, so the RAM you have linked is DDR3L.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

DDR3L means low-power DDR3. DDR3 runs at 1.5V. DDR3L runs at 1.35V, so the RAM you have linked is DDR3L.

Thank you!

Put the 500GB hdd where the CD drive is currently!

That sounds like a GREAT idea! I won't actually use CD drive at all, so it is like a waste of laptop real estate. How about connector, spacing and similar things? Won't these be extra issues?

Thank you!

That sounds like a GREAT idea! I won't actually use CD drive at all, so it is like a waste of laptop real estate. How about connector, spacing and similar things? Won't these be extra issues?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131335742018 PATA - Ignore this link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191192492684

^Dis^

Would it still be possible to use ODD as an external device with USB, HDMI, etc. adapter?

Do you want the disc drive as external?

This may help:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121002195422

Exactly what I was thinking about. Although I am not sure if it would ever come handy as I personally hadn't used discs for years now. Still I'll never know what kind of sofware they might give me at the university and MAYBE I would need it. You helped me A LOT Comic_Sans_MS. Thank you!