Not sure if I've moved my os to ssd (please help)

CrustyTissue
Go to solution Solved by CrustyTissue,

Yep, just be careful not to move the drive much when you connect it. 

EDIT: So long as you don't disconnect the SSD... How are you having both connected?

Hey i've fixed the issue now :) For some reason the boot priority seems to be on the drive which is placed in the actual drive location (if that makes sense) so i moved the ssd into the normal place and moved the hdd into the caddy and now it works fine. Thanks so much LoneRanger and have fun making all kinds of gains :P

And this was with the HDD disconnected? 

So, you have an SSD that is supposedly a clone of the HDD, and when you tried to clean install Windows on it, it gave you 'the product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.'?

You told me to download an iso so i can get it onto a bootable usb drive. I tried downloading the iso and it said that. I haven't been able to try a clean install because i can't get the iso :(

You told me to download an iso so i can get it onto a bootable usb drive. I tried downloading the iso and it said that. I haven't been able to try a clean install because i can't get the iso :(

Ahh, so, this is when you try to download an ISO from Microsoft? 

Ahh, so, this is when you try to download an ISO from Microsoft? 

Yup, I don't know what to do now tbh.

Yup, I don't know what to do now tbh.

Oh right okay, i thought you meant it was saying that when you were trying to install it. Okay, well Microsoft are the most difficult people in the world in getting your hands on their software, so you've gotta download it from somewhere that has the ISOs. 

What Windows version are you using?

EDIT: It could be much easier to clone the HDD using software that will actually work, is the HDD still intact with everything on?

Oh right okay, i thought you meant it was saying that when you were trying to install it. Okay, well Microsoft are the most difficult people in the world in getting your hands on their software, so you've gotta download it from somewhere that has the ISOs. 

What Windows version are you using?

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

If you check the edit above, seeing as though it's a laptop finding and downloading drivers can be a pain, a clone would be easier. 

If you check the edit above, seeing as though it's a laptop finding and downloading drivers can be a pain, a clone would be easier. 

Yea the thing is I tried to clone and it didn't seem to work :(

Yea the thing is I tried to clone and it didn't seem to work :(

Yeah, the software you used (EaseUS) has been known to cause issues like this. I'm going to suggest booting from the HDD, formatting the SSD (quick format should suffice), and then use http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx to clone the HDD to the SSD; cloning would make it a lot easier than a clean install, as you would need to find the drivers for your laptop, which if it's an old one can be difficult. 

EDIT one tutorial i found. : 

Yeah, the software you used (EaseUS) has been known to cause issues like this. I'm going to suggest booting from the HDD, formatting the SSD (quick format should suffice), and then use http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx to clone the HDD to the SSD; cloning would make it a lot easier than a clean install, as you would need to find the drivers for your laptop, which if it's an old one can be difficult. 

EDIT one tutorial i found. : 

Okay i'll try that. Do you know how to wipe an ssd so its back to factory condition?

Okay i'll try that. Do you know how to wipe an ssd so its back to factory condition?

A quick format will be fine for this purpose. 

A quick format will be fine for this purpose. 

But It's got the old clone and I can't seem to delete some stuff manually. I rather have it fresh and use that new software to re clone it

But It's got the old clone and I can't seem to delete some stuff manually. I rather have it fresh and use that new software to re clone it

A quick format will make it 'fresh', or at least to they eyes of the software; a full-format will remove all data, whereas a quick-format only removes the journalling system which points to files. A full format really would be unnecessary as it just causes unneeded writes to the SSD, and we don't need to securely wipe it here. 

@CrustyTissue how did you  get on with it?

Cloned it but waiting on windows updates I have 183 apparently lol (probs because I reset the laptop to factory condition yesterday) I'll tell how I get on when they are done :)

Thanks it works :) So can i now wipe my hdd ny just formatting like what i did with the ssd? 

I cant format the hdd because it contains the version of windows i'm running. I think it still boots from it too, however when i remove it it boots from the ssd.

When you boot, you should be able to select boot options, press whatever F key it is, and select your SSD. 

When you boot, you should be able to select boot options, press whatever F key it is, and select your SSD. 

Yea I get that and I've done it but somehow it seems to be overriding it. So I want to try wipe my hdd so its only windows is only on the ssd but its not letting me.

Yea I get that and I've done it but somehow it seems to be overriding it. So I want to try wipe my hdd so its only windows is only on the ssd but its not letting me.

You're actually selecting the SSD as the boot option? And it's not just the case of the SSD is boot priority #1 and then HDD #2, sometimes it will override it and boot from #2. 

Anyway, SATA is hot-swappable, meaning you can plug and unplug whilst the device is powered on. If you're physically able to, disconnect the HDD and boot from the SSD, once it's booted into Windows connect the HDD and you should then be able to format it. 

Only thing to be cautious of is not excessively moving the HDD when you plug it in. 

You're actually selecting the SSD as the boot option? And it's not just the case of the SSD is boot priority #1 and then HDD #2, sometimes it will override it and boot from #2. 

Anyway, SATA is hot-swappable, meaning you can plug and unplug whilst the device is powered on. If you're physically able to, disconnect the HDD and boot from the SSD, once it's booted into Windows connect the HDD and you should then be able to format it. 

Only thing to be cautious of is not excessively moving the HDD when you plug it in. 

I might not have set as boot option then :P How do i do that?

I might not have set as boot option then :P How do i do that?

When you power on, you'll see the HP screen or whatever it is, where it says press F12 for BIOS etc. There should be an option for 'boot option', press whatever F key it is and select the SSD. 

When you power on, you'll see the HP screen or whatever it is, where it says press F12 for BIOS etc. There should be an option for 'boot option', press whatever F key it is and select the SSD. 

Cant find boot option only boot priorities :S

Cant find boot option only boot priorities :S

There's no option like 'boot from' or something that would allow you to book from the SSD next time around  :unsure: ?

Can you not 

If you're physically able to, disconnect the HDD and boot from the SSD, once it's booted into Windows connect the HDD and you should then be able to format it. 

There's no option like 'boot from' or something that would allow you to book from the SSD next time around  :unsure: ?

Can you not 

I enabled boot menu now but the only 2 options are network boot and hdd. Also the unplugging is a pain because there is a cover which i have to keep opening everytime.

Its an acer aspire 5742 if that helps