Astro A40 or HyperX Cloud?

REX.exe

I've been looking at headsets recently and have noticed the A40 is quite cheap ($190), this surprises me as before the A50s came out these headphones were quite prestigious throughout the COD community (on console). Are they good?

But I was thinking about the HyperX Cloud, which is praised throughout the PC community for being so amazing for it's price. These are $100 ($108 for the Pro) so my question is, what headset is best for the price? Are the A40s worth the extra $90?

I plan on getting a dedicated microphone in the future but a nice mic to start off with would be nice. Thank you.

And also if you have any other recommendations please share them!

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

If you are looking at spending that kind of money I would go for the Hyper X Cloud II, they have gleaming reviews all over the internet.

CPU  Intel i7 5820k Motherboard Asus X99-S  RAM  32GB (8x4) Kingston Hyper X Fury GPU EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 iCX Case Fractal Design R4 Windowed Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU Corsair RM1000 Display 2x Asus VS239HV Cooling  Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard  Corsair K70 RGB Mouse Logitech G502 Gaming Surface Razer Golitahus Extended Speed

If you are looking at spending that kind of money I would go for the Hyper X Cloud II, they have gleaming reviews all over the internet.

Are they that much better than the normal clouds or cloud pro?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Not much, supposedly the mic is improved marginally.

I believe that they have a better integrated sound card, allowing for better mic quality.

clouds or cloud IIs

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I am guessing you are in the US, Here is the Amazon link

Reviews from

Hardware Canucks

Jayztwocents

CPU  Intel i7 5820k Motherboard Asus X99-S  RAM  32GB (8x4) Kingston Hyper X Fury GPU EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 iCX Case Fractal Design R4 Windowed Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU Corsair RM1000 Display 2x Asus VS239HV Cooling  Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard  Corsair K70 RGB Mouse Logitech G502 Gaming Surface Razer Golitahus Extended Speed

I am guessing you are in the US, Here is the Amazon link

Reviews from

Hardware Canucks

Jayztwocents

No actually, I'm from Australia :)

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

I believe that they have a better integrated sound card, allowing for better mic quality.

No. The clouds did not come with a sound card, because they were just headphones with an integrated mic. You had to plug them into 3.5mm jacks, not USB. The USB dongle on the cloud 2 is a piece of shit, and not worth using at all, unless your onboard audio is seriously jacked up. The mic is supposed to be better (Maybe, I've also heard it's worse). Other than that, they are the exact same thing (color notwithstanding). As such, the cloud 1 is really the only one that's worth buying at this point unless you must have black and red

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

No. The clouds did not come with a sound card, because they were just headphones with an integrated mic. You had to plug them into 3.5mm jacks, not USB. The USB dongle on the cloud 2 is a piece of shit, and not worth using at all, unless your onboard audio is seriously jacked up. The mic is supposed to be better (Maybe, I've also heard it's worse). Other than that, they are the exact same thing (color notwithstanding). As such, the cloud 1 is really the only one that's worth buying at this point unless you must have black and red

Right, thank you!

I actually have a white and black build :P

But IMO the color of your headphones doesn't matter seeing they're on your head 90% of the time.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

I know this is stupid but...

Can we bring Razer Krakens into the equation here?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

I know this is stupid but...

Can we bring Razer Krakens into the equation here?

Sure, if you want the equation to evaluate to "terrible".

I remember when I followed the CoD community a lot, the Astro A40's were the headsets to get. When I got mine I was very happy to them but the one thing that made them "good" was just the Mixamp Pro that shipped with the A40's. Honestly, I would avoid getting the A40's and just get the HyperX Cloud's (not the II's). I wouldn't recommend the II's because the sound card doesn't really help imo (digitized surround sound isn't needed at all even for competitive gaming, in-game sound is sufficient) and the 1's should be cheaper than the II's.

Honestly, I would recommend getting a headphone + mic combo. This audio setup beats many headset setups, if not all hands down. But if you really need a headset for whatever reason, I would recommend the HyperX Cloud's.

I remember when I followed the CoD community a lot, the Astro A40's were the headsets to get. When I got mine I was very happy to them but the one thing that made them "good" was just the Mixamp Pro that shipped with the A40's. Honestly, I would avoid getting the A40's and just get the HyperX Cloud's (not the II's). I wouldn't recommend the II's because the sound card doesn't really help imo (digitized surround sound isn't needed at all even for competitive gaming, in-game sound is sufficient) and the 1's should be cheaper than the II's.

Honestly, I would recommend getting a headphone + mic combo. This audio setup beats many headset setups, if not all hands down. But if you really need a headset for whatever reason, I would recommend the HyperX Cloud's.

Yeah I plan on getting a dedicated mic in the future, this is why I'm not getting the IIs and will more than likely get the normal clouds.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Yeah I plan on getting a dedicated mic in the future, this is why I'm not getting the IIs and will more than likely get the normal clouds.

If you're gonna get a Mic anyway, why not save yourself the hassle and get headphones and a dedicated Mic upfront and have a better setup then wasting money on a Mic you won't need soon anyway.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

If you're gonna get a Mic anyway, why not save yourself the hassle and get headphones and a dedicated Mic upfront and have a better setup then wasting money on a Mic you won't need soon anyway.

recommendations?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

What's your budget? If it's around $200 grab an AKG K7xx and mic later.

Well I can highly recommend the A40's! With the mixamp then of course.

recommendations?

What's you're budget?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

That's a bad recommendation.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

That's a bad recommendation.

Well.. No, not necessarily! I mean this post was about wether he would choose the A40's or the Hyper X Cloud, I have never tried the X Cloud and I own a pair of A40's which I absolutely love! They're a good pair, not the best but I am very fond of them, therefore will I recommend them!

If you feel bad about them that's your decision, it does not make my choice a bad recommendation. :)

The mixamp wouldn't do much for the pc, only good if you wanna use them with a console.

Well.. No, not necessarily! I mean this post was about wether he would choose the A40's or the Hyper X Cloud, I have never tried the X Cloud and I own a pair of A40's which I absolutely love! They're a good pair, not the best but I am very fond of them, therefore will I recommend them!

If you feel bad about them that's your decision, it does not make my choice a bad recommendation. :)

fair enough.

Hey! New SIgnature!