College laptop advice

Brief background....

I am currently in college, where i am studying engineering. After working for the summer, i have decided to purchase a laptop for the up coming year. i do have a bias towards apple as i have an iPhone and have always been more then happy with there products and service after purchase. 

Perceived options....

so far i am looking at he following: 

• 2015 MacBook Retina (Baseline Model) 
  • 2015 MacBook Pro 13'' (Baseline Model) 
  • Dell XPS 13 (8gb ram with non touch, 1080p screen) 

What I need it for....

• MS Word processing (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) 
  • Potentially some CAD (Solidworks, AutoCAD)
  • General web browsing (Youtube, Gmail, Websites)  

Current thoughts.....

As of today, i am leading towards the MacBook. I am well aware of the common knocks against the product. I have used the keyboard and im perfectly happy with it. the usb type c is also a non issue as i have not used a usb for a long time as i keep everything in the cloud. the main concern for me the is the processing power and weather it could run as id need it. i am a huge fan of the design, its size and the space grey color option. I have also heard from multiply sources that macs age well compared to windows alternatives. 

Anyway any comments and advice is welcome. 

If you need an ultrabook with dedicated GPU then Asus uX303LN/LB.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Just grab a macbook, they generally last longer than and have a much higher resale value. Not to mention Apple's support is great, other brands have cancerous RMA processes.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I have also heard from multiply sources that macs age well compared to windows alternatives.

Not True! They have identical components and cost more and they thermal throttle to hell when you push them to the limit, so no they do not age well, whoever says this I assume is also the type of person who say's "macs are better for video editing" (also a massive load of Bullshit).

Not True! They have identical components and cost more and they thermal throttle to hell when you push them to the limit, so no they do not age well, whoever says this I assume is also the type of person who say's "macs are better for video editing" (also a massive load of Bullshit).

i thought they aged better due to the fact that the probability of the mac getting a virus is much lower. also ive heard that the mac os deals with downloads/ installs in a better way where it does it in one complete act. im not to sure about it. 

Will you actually use laptop for CAD? Are you just working with 2D drawings or will be doing modelling as well?

I wouldn't really recommend the MacBook (core m) unless all you are doing is word processing, correspondence etc. I am unsure how well or poorly the CoreM can handle AutoCad.

The other two will probably be fine for 2D CAD work except the screen size, 13 is a bit small.

Modelling (if any is being done) can be done with the Dell and the Pro, but should be left to something with more processing power.

i thought they aged better due to the fact that the probability of the mac getting a virus is much lower. also ive heard that the mac os deals with downloads/ installs in a better way where it does it in one complete act. im not to sure about it.

Nah, this is rubbish. I own and use a Mac and a windows PC

The virus thing is bullshit for the most part. OS has little to do with it. As for installing, I'm not entirely sure that also is so.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I was suggesting a mobile i5 or i7 workstation like in these links.  Also, I'm not sure if a macbook can use MS Office's current version.  Maybe with WINE?  If not your word docs will have to be converted or a lot of teachers won't take your hw.  Just saying.  It's not difficult to do, but I've seen that happen.  People have lost points for not converting the file.  If you know how to conver the file/an easy thing to do then you should be fine.  However, these can help with some other tasks like the CAD work.  Actually, never mind about that MS Office part not being available for Mac!   https://products.office.com/en-us/mac/microsoft-office-for-mac

However, with the CAD work those 2 mobile workstations have like i7s and firepros or quadros which can help with the CAD work.  I dunno what that mac has in it other than the intel processor.

I will be using CAD to a lesser extent. The bulk of my work will be using MS office applications for completing work. Converting the documents isn't a problem, as for all assignments they ask for pdf's. Also my current desktop PC can run Solidworks pretty decently, and it has a geekbench results of 2334 (multicore) which is very slow i know its a complete pain to live with. 

This is all overused Apple sheep Bullshit.

You can get something that's cheaper and had double the performance, for the same price you could get something that would run solid works for when you need it and are away from your desktop.

It's up to you. I dunno what the Iris GPU can do, but personally for even entry level CAD I'd still prefer a Firepro, gaming GPU, or Quadro. That's why I'd still go with a mobile workstation. The choice is yours.

Do the base model macbooks even have iris graphics? I thought they standard HD graphics?

This is all overused Apple sheep Bullshit.

You can get something that's cheaper and had double the performance, for the same price you could get something that would run solid works for when you need it and are away from your desktop.

Any recommendations ? 

Do the base model macbooks even have iris graphics? I thought they standard HD graphics?

HD 5300 GPU i think