RAID 1 Questions

Go to solution Solved by MrBucket101,

Does RAID 10 work like if both drives in one set of RAID 1 fail then the RAID 0 would fail and I would lose everything on the other set of RAID 1? Or does it fail when one drive fails? It would give me more peace of mind if I had two RAID 1 arrays separate from each other. Also how do you set all this up? Do you have to go into the BIOS? And how will I know if one of the drives fails? Thanks.

Not sure if you fully understand the concept, read this for some more general info: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/10/raid10-vs-raid01/

Configuration and setup will largely depend on your mobo, and its RAID implementation. Most mobo RAID solutions, are not very powerful, and I would not rely on them for adequately storing important data. As far as your data is concerned, you're much better off using a tried and true, software RAID, or hardware RAID solution. All too often, mobo raids (onboard RAID, fakeRAID) are kinda the worst of both worlds. No flexibility, and your array is now married to your mobo.  But that is just my personal opinion, what you decide to do is up to you.

One important feature of an adequate RAID solution, is pre-failure replacement. Where the system will scan the drives every so often, and attempt to detect failures before they happen. The user is then alerted of the problem drive, and if a hot-spare is availiable, a block-for-block copy is initiated. This allows you to replace a dying, but not dead, drive with a good one. Which has many obvious advantages. Most mobo RAID solutions, are very basic and only do the bare minimum.  Which is fine if all you're doing is mirroring an OS drive, or striping one. But the more complicated setups require some TLC, which most onboard controllers just don't do.

Anyways, if two drives on the same side of your array die, then yes, the array is lost. The same would happen to a RAID 5 setup, 2 drives die, and it goes poof. So I really wouldn't worry too much about the "sides" of the array. Simply put, you effectively have 50% redundancy, and increased performance. Since each side of the array is mirrored, if one drive fails, a rebuild will only take an hour or so, and there shouldn't even be that noticeable of a performance hit. 

If you want to keep it simple stupid, and just have 2 RAID 1 mirrors, then just create two RAID 1 mirrors. You'll be left with 2 3TB arrays, for a total of 6TB of space. The same amount of space you get from RAID 10, but your R/W speeds will obviously be less, due to the stripe from RAID 10.

Hello, I am a bit confused on how RAID works. I know the basics such as what RAID 0 and 1 do and I want to setup a system that has 4 3TB HDDs arranged in RAID 1 twice for 6 TB of storage (with a single SSD boot drive as well). Can you have RAID in a system multiple times? Also, I will use an x99 motherboard and don't know if I can just use the motherboard to configure RAID or if I need a separate RAID controller (which I have a slot for). Also, how would I set this up? Thanks!

Hello, I am a bit confused on how RAID works. I know the basics such as what RAID 0 and 1 do and I want to setup a system that has 4 3TB HDDs arranged in RAID 1 twice for 6 TB of storage (with a single SSD boot drive as well). Can you have RAID in a system multiple times? Also, I will use an x99 motherboard and don't know if I can just use the motherboard to configure RAID or if I need a separate RAID controller (which I have a slot for). Also, how would I set this up? Thanks!

Do you mean [3T+3T] in raid 1 and the other pair also [3T+3T] in raid 1?

Edited by jonathanwu607

CPU: i7-4770K @4.5GHz, MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H, RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz 8G x2, GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD.

Case:  NZXT H440 (white), Storage: Liteon 256GB M.2 SSD + Liteon 240GB 2.5" SSD + Hitachi 1TB x2 (RAID 1), PSU: 750W SilverStone, Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61.

Monitor: BenQ EW2440L *2, Mouse: Razer DA Chroma, Razer Orochi, AORUS M7, KB: Corsair K70 RGB, KBT RACE II, Razer BW Chroma, Razer Orbweaver Headset: AKG K512, Steelseries H Wireless

Do you mean [3T+3T] in raid 1 and the other pair also [3T+3T] in raid 1?

yes

the mobo should have support for RAID 0,1,10

I would actually recommend using RAID 10

create 2 RAID 1 drive groups, 2 drives per group, then put those groups in RAID0

You'll end up with 1 6TB volume, with the relevant speed increases associated with RAID 0.

the mobo should have support for RAID 0,1,10

I would actually recommend using RAID 10

create 2 RAID 1 drive groups, 2 drives per group, then put those groups in RAID0

You'll end up with 1 6TB volume, with the relevant speed increases associated with RAID 0.

Does RAID 10 work like if both drives in one set of RAID 1 fail then the RAID 0 would fail and I would lose everything on the other set of RAID 1? Or does it fail when one drive fails? It would give me more peace of mind if I had two RAID 1 arrays separate from each other. Also how do you set all this up? Do you have to go into the BIOS? And how will I know if one of the drives fails? Thanks.

Not sure if you fully understand the concept, read this for some more general info: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/10/raid10-vs-raid01/

Configuration and setup will largely depend on your mobo, and its RAID implementation. Most mobo RAID solutions, are not very powerful, and I would not rely on them for adequately storing important data. As far as your data is concerned, you're much better off using a tried and true, software RAID, or hardware RAID solution. All too often, mobo raids (onboard RAID, fakeRAID) are kinda the worst of both worlds. No flexibility, and your array is now married to your mobo.  But that is just my personal opinion, what you decide to do is up to you.

One important feature of an adequate RAID solution, is pre-failure replacement. Where the system will scan the drives every so often, and attempt to detect failures before they happen. The user is then alerted of the problem drive, and if a hot-spare is availiable, a block-for-block copy is initiated. This allows you to replace a dying, but not dead, drive with a good one. Which has many obvious advantages. Most mobo RAID solutions, are very basic and only do the bare minimum.  Which is fine if all you're doing is mirroring an OS drive, or striping one. But the more complicated setups require some TLC, which most onboard controllers just don't do.

Anyways, if two drives on the same side of your array die, then yes, the array is lost. The same would happen to a RAID 5 setup, 2 drives die, and it goes poof. So I really wouldn't worry too much about the "sides" of the array. Simply put, you effectively have 50% redundancy, and increased performance. Since each side of the array is mirrored, if one drive fails, a rebuild will only take an hour or so, and there shouldn't even be that noticeable of a performance hit. 

If you want to keep it simple stupid, and just have 2 RAID 1 mirrors, then just create two RAID 1 mirrors. You'll be left with 2 3TB arrays, for a total of 6TB of space. The same amount of space you get from RAID 10, but your R/W speeds will obviously be less, due to the stripe from RAID 10.

Alright thanks that was very helpful and I get what I want to do now and thanks for bearing with me I am new to this kind of stuff :)