Newbie switching to Liquid Cooling

Hello everyone.

I am considering switching to liquid cooling to get lower temperatures. Currently using Thermaltake frio clp0564, replaced the fans with cougar cf-v12hp (set in push pull). When overclocking

to 4.6ghz maximum temperatures reached is 69°C. I am not overclocking for gaming but to do renderings which the program (Artlantis) I use, uses the cpu to do all the work. There are times when

I have to leave my computer on for several days to create animations (yes I know this will decrease my processor life span).

I tried the Corsair h100i and I only managed to get a three degree drop, that is with 4 cougar fans installed.

1) I heard good stuff about the Swiftech h220, was wondering if I could get lower temps with that with 4 fans installed

2) I'm in the US so it's not sold here any ideas where I can buy

Any help is appreaciated, thanks

My system: i7 2600k, cooler master cosmos ii, motherboad asus p8z68-v, 16gb ddr3 corsair low profile memory 1600 mghz, samsung 256 pro ssd, msi gtx 560ti, hx1050 corsair power supply, all stock fans have been replaced.

If I'm being honest, with the amount of money you're spending on cooling to get a slightly higher clock you're probably much better off upgrading your CPU

Actually, what decreases processor lifespan is not up time, but rather heat and voltage. A couple AIO's to consider...H220, Kraken x40, Kraken x60, and the new H320 if you can fit it when it comes out.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1. Yes you could.
You could try to import it from Canada or look on eBay.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Actually, what decreases processor lifespan is not up time, but rather heat and voltage. A couple AIO's to consider...H220, Kraken x40, Kraken x60, and the new H320 if you can fit it when it comes out.

• Running animations means your CPU is loaded. This means its running hot and at maximum voltage, and for a long time.
  • The H320 is out already, just not in the US where it can't be sold.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

• Running animations means your CPU is loaded. This means its running hot and at maximum voltage, and for a long time.

Yes, but 80 degrees C is where silicon degrades faster. Not 69 degrees C.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Yes, but 80 degrees C is where silicon degrades faster. Not 69 degrees C.

There isn't some sort of magic boundary where silicon degrades faster at exactly 80C. It degrades faster at 80 than at 69 but it also degrades faster at 69 than at 40.

Honestly I don't even know what physically happens to silicon that makes it degrade over time but I can assure you 80C isn't the magic number.

Either way, 69 degrees C is still cool enough for continued operation.

Either way, 69 degrees C is still cool enough for continued operation.

Just about seeing as the maximum operating temp is 72.6°C. Of course Tcase is not the same as Tcore so he still has a little bit of breathing space but that's high anyway.

While overclocking you should always knock a few degrees off that anyway.

If I'm being honest, with the amount of money you're spending on cooling to get a slightly higher clock you're probably much better off upgrading your CPU

I am planning on upgrading my processor and motherboard whenever Haswell-e comes out, but for right now have to make do with my current hardware.

One of the main reasons I would like to get lower temperatures is to decrease rendering times, depending on the complexity of the animation reflections, lighting, water moving- a ten second sequence could take could take days.

1. Yes you could.
  2. You could try to import it from Canada or look on eBay.

Ghost,

I looked at NCIX.CA, they don't have until late next month that is if the release date doesn't change.

I was thinking of the H320, but a little worried that it may not even fit in the cosmos ii without some customizing. Was also looking at the Thermaltake water 3.0 extreme but there isn't  much information on it