Transferring 'paging file' from SSD to HDD or disabling it...

TorguL

I'm just wondering should i move the paging file from the C drive, which is the Samsung SSD and transfer it onto the Western Digital Blue HDD. Is it best to do it this way or just disable it altogether?

I have 8gigs installed, do you think that is enough to disable it?

Sorry for hijacking. 

I have a similar question to yours. 

Running two 240gb ssd in raid 0. No other HDDs installed in system. 16gb of ram.

I heard that paging file from ssds are bad because they cause a lot of extra writes. (thus decrease life time)

On the other hand, I also heard that page files are necessary for some programs.

Should I disable it? leave it as system allocated? or shrink the size?

That's what i heard, paging file cause extra writes on the SSD, and over time shortening its life span. If some programs require page file then best solution would be to move it to the HDD and free up space on your SSD, and the amount of writes? Not sure... Would this be the best thing to do for me, i have 8gb of RAM. Hopefully someone with more understanding on the topic can advice us.

I had the exact same question. I decided to just leave the page file on my SSD and set the size to 1024 MB max. Samsung Magician recommended this, so I just went with it.

In Windows 7, I was able to do it easily enough.  Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab > "Settings..." under Performance > Advanced Tab > "Change..." (Under Virtual Memory).  Then remove the pagefile from the SSD and add it to the HDD.

In Windows 8, though, it won't let me do it.  After I change the settings and reboot, I get an error and it doesn't put the paging file where I want it to.  I have not figured out how to fix it; I've just given up on it pretty much.  My SSD is big enough that it shouldn't have a significant impact on its lifespan anyway.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

To all of you guys worried about extra writes killing your drive. By the time a current drive dies due to the paging file writing "too much" on it, you would have had replaced it for a faster unit anyway.

Maximus V Gene | i5-2500k 4.8GHz | 16GiB | GTX470 SLi @ 800MHz| m4 128GB + 240GB 2.5" HDD | Arch Linux + Windows 8

800D + HX850v2 | EK Supreme-HF v2 | 2x EK FC-470GTX (serial) | Black Ice GTX 360 + 3x AP-15 | U2311h | 6Gv2 + G500 | T50-RP

I've decided to just move it to the HDD. Simple.

If you've got enough RAM you don't really need the Pagefile. It's only there to cache things if your RAM maxes out it's capacity. Some programs do make use of it though You can probably just shrink it to 1GB and it'll be sweet.

If you've got enough RAM you don't really need the Pagefile. It's only there to cache things if your RAM maxes out it's capacity. Some programs do make use of it though You can probably just shrink it to 1GB and it'll be sweet.

How much is enough RAM?

How much is enough RAM?

More than you using for your particular system during max RAM usage scenarios. If you were doing productivity work you'd need more than in a gaming system. For a gaming system 8GB is plenty, you won't use that much.

Mine is primarily a gaming system. I have 8gigs installed. So i could get away with just disabling paging file altogether? My RAM hardly maxes out, it has only ever gone up to about 5GB.

Yeah you could probably get away with disable it. Some program do use it even when RAM isn't maxed so maybe just set it to 1 or 2GB.

If some programs make use of it, then it's best to let it run and just set how much space its allowed to use up. Initial size: 16MB, Maximum size: 2000MB. And it's been relocated to the HDD. Is that correct?

Yeah if you want, though nothing terrible will happen if you just set it to 1 or 2GB and leave it. Moving it to the HDD is fine, personally I'd just leave it on the SSD though.

Okay mate, thanks for the advice.

I turned mine off

I've had no issues, but if programs don't like it I'll find others. There's no reason to require a page file when I have 16GB of ram.

The standard recommendation for page files with more than 4 GBs of RAM is to set it on a hard drive with a minimum of 100 MBs, Max. @ 2048. Windows requires page files to write mini dumps when it runs into errors & BSODs, so it's a good idea to have at least some.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

I turned mine off

I've had no issues, but if programs don't like it I'll find others. There's no reason to require a page file when I have 16GB of ram.

Unless you want logs of any BSODs, Windows requires page files to write BSOD mini dumps.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)