Basic PC Diagnostic Guide

BenHTBDT

Preface: This is a quick guide that I made over the most common things that I see with computers and some basic steps that you can take to try and fix them. Please note that for the most part, I recommend inexperienced users take their computer into their local INSURED computer repair place, such as Staples, to have their computer worked on by insured professionals. While it may seem simple, computers are magical and decide to magically explode sometimes, and its nice to have that insurance there to cover you. That being said, if you wanna go for it, be my guest. If you have any additional info you would like me to add, just post it below and I will do my best to add it (and give you credit!). If you have any specific PC diagnostic questions, feel free to post below.

PC Diagnostic guide

Author: Ben Turner

No boot (Desktop)

1. Check PSU with PSU tester, or alternately in a known working PC. If faulty, replace.

2. Visual inspection of connections and capacitors. Look for blown caps or “melted†cables and connections.

3. Locate the power button header, and use a jumper short the connectors, then quickly remove. If this turns the PC on, replace the power button & cable.

4. Reseat the RAM.

5. Try a known working stick of RAM. If system works, replace RAM.

6. As a last resort, replace the Motherboard and Processor.

No boot (Laptop)

1. Remove battery, hold down power button for 15 seconds, and then plug in AC cable while still holding the power button.

2. Try a known working AC adapter. If boots, replace AC adapter.

3. Reseat the RAM.

4. Try a known working RAM module. If boots, replace RAM.

5. As a last resort, replace Motherboard and Processor.

Boots to a black screen

1. Run bootable hardware diagnostic software, and test the HDD. If it fails tests, replace HDD.

2. Boot into Windows Recovery (F8 on boot on most Pre-8 machines), get to a CMD line, and type CHKDSK /r /f and let that run.

3. At the same CMD line, type the following, depending on your OS. XP: FIXBOOT, Vista, 7, and 8, type bootrec.exe /fixboot.

4. Reinstall Windows after backing up your data.

Windows is EXTREMELY slow.

1. Scan for Viruses. I recommend Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware – both are free.

2. Open an admin level CMD prompt, and type SFC /scannow. Let that run. If it finds errors that it can’t fix, do an in place upgrade install, AKA a repair install.

3. Run hardware diagnostic software to check for a failing HDD. If it fails any tests, including SMART diagnostics, backup your data and replace the HDD.

4. Check the amount of RAM installed. Sometimes, it can just be really low on memory.

5. Check for stopped fans and dust build up. Sometimes dust can clog the fans ability to cool the CPU, forcing it to throttle itself to prevent overheating.

6. If all else fails, re-install windows.

Appendix

How to get an elevated (admin) command prompt

In Windows Vista and 7, type into the search bar cmd, then hit ctrl + shift + enter. Hit yes to the UAC prompt. In XP, Windows Key + R, type CMD and hit enter.

Good diagnostic software

PC Doctor, Hirens Boot disc includes about 50 or so utilities, and a quick Google search will yield many more.

Disclaimer

Unfortunately, this guide does not cover every situation that could happen with your PC. It is merely a starting point from which I operate on a daily basis. This covers the most common problems that I personally see when working on computers, however PC’s are magical beings, and can do basically anything they want for no reason at all. As such, I cannot be held responsible for what you do with your PC. So basically, don’t yell at me for trying to help you if you end up screwing up your PC because you decided not to take it to an insured professional. :)