Windows 8 upgrade with SSD

harmontt

I have a 120gb SSD boot drive and a 500gb HDD that stores my libraries and most of my programs are installed on it. I would like to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8 and I was wondering if I would run into any trouble doing this with this combo of drives. I know I can do a clean install, but it would be very inconvenient. Does anybody know if this will work?

I did this with my 64GB boot SSD and 1TB storage/program/user drive. I did the upgrade, and it worked fine.

BUT about two weeks later I ended up doing a clean install. Since I had my user profile and default program directory on the HDD, when I upgraded I thought it would keep that, but it ended up just getting messed up and I had to reinstall some programs and ultimately I just gave up and did the clean install. It also improved performance when I did so.

I know this is like the worst answer possible, but yeah. It'll work, but you might run into some problems based on how you setup your user directory and if you changed the default install directory like I did. The good news is, you can't really screw it up if you do the upgrade first and see if it works. Worst case is you just do the clean install.

Do you think it's a worthy upgrade?

It'll be a lot of work re-installing all of my programs though. I'll probably do a clean install in a few days when I get everything backed up