Should I go back to air cooling?

Hi guys, I have a bit of a dilemma:

I will be going to study abroad in the US in roughly a year, and I'm not sure whether or not to keep my custom water cooled rig or switch to air cooling/closed loop water. I've heard that not turning on a watercooled system for a long time will lead to lots of bacteria and other things growing inside the tubes, and since I'll be gone for months at a time I'm not sure if it's worth keeping (I probably won't want to be messing around with my computer when I come back for the holidays). My system is due for an upgrade right now, and I can either get myself some new hardware as well as clean and redo my loop, or just dismantle the loop and get myself a good air cooler or something like an H100i. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Why don't you just drain your loop and refill it when you get back?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I'm not to sure but can't you get anti bacterial chemicals designed for water loops??

Although if your not interested in that how about an AIO, I mean Swiftech is just making the H320 available which would be an awesome option.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Why don't you just drain your loop and refill it when you get back?

Bacteria will still grow even if there is the slightest bit of moisture...

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Bacteria will still grow even if there is the slightest bit of moisture...

Sure, but if he drains it and leave some fittings open, won't it dry in a few days?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Sure, but if he drains it and leave some fittings open, won't it dry in a few days?

Mmmm well i guess it probably would... just if he is that worried about things growing then better to be safe.. :P

Just don't want the hassle, cleaning my loop isn't exactly going to be the first thing on my mind when I go home for holidays :P

No idea how much power this is going to waste and cost nor do I have any idea if this is going to work but can't you just connect a power supply and leave the loop on while the rig is off? - Similar to the way you filled the loop in the first place. 

You can get plugs that fit in a G1/4 spot and have a silver rod on them that will eventually fade into the liquid in the loop and stop any bacteria buildup. Also if your worried just drain, rinse out and refill your loop, You should really do that pretty regularly anyways :)

What "silver rod"? Can I have a link please :)

And yes the whole reason why I'm considering going back to air cooling is because I do not want the hassle of dismantling my loop every time I come home.

Just drain it, clean all the blocks and leave it uninstalled for the time youve been gone

and when youre back, reinstall everything

unless there are people who would be using your pc while youre gone 

http://www.thekoolroom.com/product/koolroom-silver/

That's not the exact one I was thinking of, but something like that you can sit in your res and it will help with bacteria

If he uses premixed coolant or coolant additives which contain corrosion inhibitors and biocides you're not supposed to add those. Some manufactures make warnings to not use additional kill coils. 

Just drain it, clean all the blocks and leave it uninstalled for the time youve been gone

and when youre back, reinstall everything

unless there are people who would be using your pc while youre gone 

Is there a limit to how many times water cooling components can be reused? For example if I keep applying and removing thermal paste on my water block, won't the surface get worse over time?

If he uses premixed coolant or coolant additives which contain corrosion inhibitors and biocides you're not supposed to add those. Some manufactures make warnings to not use additional kill coils. 

Yes my coolant specifically states not to add anything

But I think the point I am making here is that it is simply too much of a hassle to be worrying about water cooling so I might as well just get myself a nice maintenance-free rig

But I think the point I am making here is that it is simply too much of a hassle to be worrying about water cooling so I might as well just get myself a nice maintenance-free rig

might as well do that :) get an AIO watercooler something like the swiftech H220/H320

I've been taking apart my waterblock alot of time for maintanance, you can just polish the surface unless you are using a nickel one with Coolaboratory paste which you cant polish the mark away (like mine :( )

might as well do that :) get an AIO watercooler something like the swiftech H220/H320

I've been taking apart my waterblock alot of time for maintanance, you can just polish the surface unless you are using a nickel one with Coolaboratory paste which you cant polish the mark away (like mine :( )

So water blocks will NOT degrade over time if you keep changing thermal paste and rubbing them with alcohol??

Also, will the inside of waterblocks degrade due to fluid/corrosion etc? I really wanna keep this water block as long as possible because it's pretty good (XSPC Raystorm)

So water blocks will NOT degrade over time if you keep changing thermal paste and rubbing them with alcohol??

Also, will the inside of waterblocks degrade due to fluid/corrosion etc? I really wanna keep this water block as long as possible because it's pretty good (XSPC Raystorm)

You can clean it, try to open it up and soak it in some acid

alot of people soak it with lemon juice

try to watch this