My upgrade.

orcinhell

Hi guys.

So I had been debating even posting this as the level of builds in the forum are insane, really great work. While I defiantly aspire to one day have a fully custom water loop and sli/crossfire, its not to be currently. Before stumbling across Linus on youtube (my CPU cooler broke and is what lead me to this point) and frequenting these great forums I had a pretty standard "gamer" rig. Rat nest of wires, loud obnoxious fans, a gaming case (Thermaltake Armor Revo Full-Tower Snow edition).

It was not long after reading posts on these forums I fell in love with the enthusiast side of the PC world and decided I needed to step up my game.

What I replaced.

GPU - Asus 970 Strix from Gigabyte 7970.

Case - Fractal Design R5 case from Thermaltake Armor Revo Full-Tower Snow edition

Cooling – Noctua NH-D15 from Antec KUHLER H20 (Forgot but single 120mm)

PSU – Coolmaster V450S from a Thermaltake tough power 875 watt (loud as hell).

Fans – x4 Noctua NF-A14 PPC 140mm from loud generic fans. I also had to replace the poo brown Noctua fans that come with the CPU.

HD/SSD – Crucial MX100 256 GB + Crucial BX100 500GB. The 500 might seem small but movies are kept on my nuc in my room, I don’t listen to music and only ever have a handful of games installed at a time as that is all I play, once I finish a game I tend to move on. from Single 60gb SSD and 1 TB hdd.

Future.

I currently have a 3770k with a Gigabyte z77x-ud3h MB. I plan to upgrade come skylake.

I really wish I took pictures of my old rig, it was dirty, dated (aesthetics) and needed some love, I have even gone out of my way to purchase a suitable air compressor to make sure my rig stays clean as possible, I do let it get dusty but clean it at least once every 2 weeks.

Pic’s… They are not the best, as I only had my phone handy and currently moving so the pc is downstairs. I still have a few jobs I want to do such as more cable management on the side but you will see what I mean… I am going to wait for the CPU/MB upgrade before I take care of that.

post-221586-0-63453900-1434677204_thumb.

Room lights off.

post-221586-0-25239400-1434677209.png

post-221586-0-95243900-1434677212_thumb.

Need to clean up some wires still, overhanging wires on the top right (the case has a plate for it), cleaner management at the bottom as well as sleeving the case wires. I plan to paint the white PCI covers too (black).

I really like the look of my PC now and with the fans running at 800 rpm its whisper quiet. The next upgrade of course will be skylake with a color matching mb.

When I decided I wanted to upgrade I came to the Linus forums for help, whether it was asking myself or finding a post that had already been answered... so for that I thank you. I know it probably is not up to the standard of some of these insane builds I see (and love) but wanted to share it nevertheless.

Very nice build, but why the air-CPU cooling instead of a more elegant solution like a H80i GT from Corsair?

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

looking smexy man.

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

Very nice build, but why the air-CPU cooling instead of a more elegant solution like a H80i GT from Corsair?

In many cases, air cooling is actually superior than liquid cooling in terms of performance and noise, or at least when considering the sub H100i level of water cooling

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Let me just say something, The only thing Skylake has is skylake has a very nice iGPU and supports DDR4, I truly doubt that the i5 skylake will out do a i5-4690k and that the i7 one will outdo a i7-4790k in terms of gaming ect ect.. I wouldn't personally wait for skylake, it's not worth the wait.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

In many cases, air cooling is actually superior than liquid cooling in terms of performance and noise, or at least when considering the sub H100i level of water cooling

Perhaps considering airflow on the rad but Noctua fans could also be used to compensate for noise concerns

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

Although I went cheap with the original all in one, considering the small difference in degrees I wanted to go with less moving parts i.e less failure points.

Although I went cheap with the original all in one, considering the small difference in degrees I wanted to go with less moving parts.

Ah I see

Perhaps considering airflow on the rad but Noctua fans could also be used to compensate for noise concerns

the fan noise isn't the problem, in most cases it's the pump noise. 

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

"elegant solution like a H80i GT" 

I lol'd, then i felt nothing but disappointment at your comment. Single fan AIO's are awful unless you're doing a mini-itx build, or something in a very small form factor.

Also, the risk of an AIO cooler leaking, or the pump dying isn't worth it over air cooling imo. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Give AIOs a chance mate, my H110i worked fine until I got a H110i GT, but I guess I've never used a single fan rad...