Dreams and Education

Nosmada09

Hey guys, so first off a little about me. I'm 22, married, I have a kid and work full time in retail management, I won't say where but lets just say its one of the largest retail stores in the world... Like many of you I have quite a love for computers and tech. Tech and electronics have always just come natural to me, hell by the time I was 6 I could take about my families VHS and put it back together. I have always dreamed of working for a company like AMD, Intel, Nvidia, Apple or Doing stuff like Linus, Barnacules, and John Retinger.

My point is I want to make a Major career change and try to follow my dreams. My wife is supportive and my current company will pay for a portion of my schooling. My Problem is I don't know where to start... I want to go back to school and get a degree so I can try and get on with one of the big companies I mentioned, Intel actually has a big plant here in my town. I don't know what to study or what degree to go for... I want learn everything, I want to know the engineering side as well as the software side, and the buisness stuff. I want to know everything I can, study every aspect of technology there is. But like I said I really don't know where to start or how to move forward with this transition. Nor do I really have the money or time to throw around and waste.

So can anyone currently or previously in the industry, anyone whose been in my situation, anyone with connections, or just sound advice it would be very much appreciated. 

What to study: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Software Engineering. (Although it is your choice, I recommend these)

Start small! Remember, to those big companies, you are just a number! Start with a small startup, or medium size business, and work your way up.

What to study: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Software Engineering. (Although it is your choice, I recommend these)

Start small! Remember, to those big companies, you are just a number! Start with a small startup, or medium size business, and work your way up.

Don't forget electrical or mechanical.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

You want to get a masters or doctorate. Only people i know that have even had job interviews at intel have had those high level degrees or military experience in a tech field (radar) do what you love. At 22 you will be 4 years behind others so a big world company isnt the best chances. Also a really good school is needed most the time if you have no experience. For just a job in the sector you wany any school will do. Don't lose hope and research or try what your going for see if you love it

I actually have a lot of industrial experience, I worked for KIA both on the assembly line and in a quality control aspect, as well as I worked for one of one of their supplier factories in an office and personnel management role. I also have quite a lot of technical experience, from various jobs projects. As well as I've got my own side business of building and repair of custom computer systems. But what I don't have a degree or formal schooling in the technical field. I did go to college for 3 years but it was towards a nursing degree. (It just got to expensive to continue at the time and I realized it wasn't what I wanted to do with my lofe.)  I'm not sure how many of the credits will transfer towards an engineering degree.