UPS Query

dawnofthedead

1. I have a UPS (APC 700) which my PC is connected to (upstairs) and my router and modem are downstairs. The UPS has 2 ethernet ports (Data in and out). Is it worth me connecting my PC (ethernet) to the UPS and if so is there a way I can connect the UPS to my router so that all ports will be protected or can I only connect my PC's ethernet port to the UPS so only that 1 port will be protected?

2. My PC is hooked up to a UPS. If I watch movies from my PC (upstairs) to my WDTV media player (downstairs) through network share and had a power cut (Power outage), would there be a chance of my files becoming damaged/corrupted or would the power cut to the WDTV not matter because the files are on my PC and are protected with the UPS?

Thanks.

1. I have a UPS (APC 700) which my PC is connected to (upstairs) and my router and modem are downstairs. The UPS has 2 ethernet ports (Data in and out). Is it worth me connecting my PC (ethernet) to the UPS and if so is there a way I can connect the UPS to my router so that all ports will be protected or can I only connect my PC's ethernet port to the UPS so only that 1 port will be protected?

2. My PC is hooked up to a UPS. If I watch movies from my PC (upstairs) to my WDTV media player (downstairs) through network share and had a power cut (Power outage), would there be a chance of my files becoming damaged/corrupted or would the power cut to the WDTV not matter because the files are on my PC and are protected with the UPS?

Thanks.

A power cut to any device could potentially result in data loss. However it is most unlikely any damage would occur to your files.

1) Make a backup weekly.

2) I would connect the device to my UPS. (Just in case.)

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

A power cut to any device could potentially result in data loss. However it is most unlikely any damage would occur to your files.

1) Make a backup weekly.

2) I would connect the device to my UPS. (Just in case.)

What if the WDTV only has read only access to my PC (UPS protected) through network share, could power loss by power outage or yanking out the ethernet cable to the WDTV, cause corrupt files?

Thanks.

What if the WDTV only has read only access to my PC (UPS protected) through network share, could power loss by power outage or yanking out the ethernet cable to the WDTV, cause corrupt files?

Thanks.

No

No

Are you 100% sure?

I've been told that it could (but like yourself, I thought that if the WDTV has read only access then a power outage to the WDTV shouldn't be able to corrupt the files being streamed from the UPS protected PC).

Are you 100% sure?

I've been told that it could (but like yourself, I thought that if the WDTV has read only access then a power outage to the WDTV shouldn't be able to corrupt the files being streamed from the UPS protected PC).

The files on your PC will be safe since it's protected by the UPS itself, as for the ethernet port protection it isn't really needed in the majority of cases and using it will introduce more signal loss possibly. The main things are power plug and Coaxial cables if you did not ground them when they come into your home.

Are you 100% sure?

Yes I'm sure. Think about it. If a computer crashes while downloading something, does it corrupt the server? No.