Thermaltake Core V21 (mATX Cube)

Steve N. Mavronis

I'm revisiting this $70 cube chassis once again. Waiting to see the new non-reference GTX 980 Ti brand offerings and prices gives me more time to reconsider my build options. That's probably a bad thing for you guys reading my posts, LOL. It's Computex 2015's fault and that's the story I'm sticking with, Haha. ;)

The external shape isn't the most sexy or stylish out there. That's probably why I've been looking at all the alternative cases for a while. But it's the most customizable with freedom to build whatever you want in an mATX format. All the side panels can either be interchanged on all four faces and the front mesh panel can be rotated. I'd probably settle for a top window looking down onto the motherboard and the front panel turned to allow the I/O port, power/reset button panel to be on top like the stock photo below on the right below vs other one: 

post-54803-0-61603900-1434165696.jpgpost-54803-0-18303000-1434165696.jpg

I wonder what interesting mods owners of this case have done. On the inside I'd just be tempted to add a grommet panel to also double as a shroud, helping to hide the cabling underneath a little better. I'd probably place the magnetic side vent panels dust filters on the inside surface if it looks better that way. I keep imagining a modded front intake panel, with it maybe covered in thin ventilated sheet aluminum to dress it up. I'm assuming it is all plastic there. And maybe I'd add an intake style custom fan grill(s) there for a different look.

Any opinions on the case as a good tabletop build platform? I would base my build in it around the ASUS Maximus VII Gene, the i7-4790K (with large heatsink air cooler) and Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti with backplate powered by the EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 850W PSU.

EDIT - For an air cooler I wanted the Cryorig R1 Universal (as a more attractive NH-D15 alternative) but at Newegg it's been out of stock now for a while. So until it comes back along with new Cryorig offerings shown at Computex 2015 or Noctua gets the offset heatpipe NH-D15S to market my build plans are taking forever waiting for the perfect storm of components to all be available at the same time! I'm always fearful a home emergency expense will kill my plans to replace my 8 year old PC completely this year.  :mellow:

i took a long look at this case back a few months back. i may still get one and transfer my stuff in. it's so tempting due to the size/flexibility. i wouldn't expect much out of build quality or noise dampening though. and the front magnet is whack and needs to be replaced asap.

let me know if you get one. i'd like to see some build pics.

Define R5 Black Window || i5 4690K || Scythe Kotetsu || Asus Maximus VII Gene || Kingston Fury 8GB || EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 || EVGA G2 750W || SSD/HDD/ODD

Thanks I'm between several cases to use in my build planning. I heard about the weak TT logo magnet. I'd do some mod on that front cover anyway to spice it up a little. The other case I might get is the Phanteks Evolv ITX or the regular Evolv if I feel like spending $60 more than the ITX case and really need to go mATX.