Need a DSLR camera.

I'm taking photography, and i need a DSLR, but i do not know anything photography, so it leaves me not knowing where to go. I'll be using the camera for journalism, and documentary type photos. My knowledge on DSLR cameras is next to none;  i don't know anything about lenses, gear, cameras, brands, or what makes a DSLR, a DSLR; but i'll need one in a few months.

My budget is around 1100 USD, i can go higher, but would prefer to stay around 1100 USD. This budget also includes all the gear i would need, so please fit everything i need within 1100. 

If anyone has anything that could help me, like perhaps videos, or some websites, that have some useful information; that would be greatly appreciated! 

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

I'm taking photography, and i need a DSLR, but i do not know anything photography, so it leaves me not knowing where to go. I'll be using the camera for journalism, and documentary type photos. My knowledge on DSLR cameras is next to none;  i don't know anything about lenses, gear, cameras, brands, or what makes a DSLR, a DSLR; but i'll need one in a few months.

My budget is around 1100 USD, i can go higher, but would prefer to stay around 1100 USD. This budget also includes all the gear i would need, so please fit everything i need within 1100. 

If anyone has anything that could help me, like perhaps videos, or some websites, that have some useful information; that would be greatly appreciated! 

With that budget you could get a Sony A7 full frame Mirrorless camera

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Full-Frame-Mirrorless-Digital-28-70mm/dp/B00FRDV06I/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1433932611&sr=1-2&keywords=sony+a7

Or you could get something like a Nikon D7100

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-DX-Format-Digital-18-140mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B00F5E3N46/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433932665&sr=1-2&keywords=nikon+d7100

OR

You could get a D5300

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B00I1CPA0O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433932689&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+d5300&pebp=1433932694662&perid=A54E2ADF6EFF486493CF

WIth money left over for a Flash, Tripod, new lens, or any other accessories you feel you need

Its a decent budget, it really depends WHAT you want.. and what gear you think you need

If you are taking photography as a course, why not ask your teacher, what gear they think you need, is a flash and tripod useful? do you need fast lenses good in low light, or telephoto for nice portraits and picking detail from far away

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

What would be the advantaged of those cameras? For instance, i can compare videos cards, as i know about the technologies involved, like Nivdias cuda cores, Vram, Clock speed, ROPs, or texture units ect.. but when it comes to cameras, i don't know how to compare them, or to even see generally how good a camera is.

Is there a certain types of lenses that i will need for the type of photos that i will be taking? What's the differences between these three DSLR's? 

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

What would be the advantaged of those cameras? For instance, i can compare videos cards, as i know about the technologies involved, like Nivdias cuda cores, Vram, Clock speed, ROPs, or texture units ect.. but when it comes to cameras, i don't know how to compare them, or to even see generally how good a camera is.

Is there a certain types of lenses that i will need for the type of photos that i will be taking? What's the differences between these three DSLR's? 

Honestly, I would go away and spend some time learning about cameras, jumping into this is a nightmare, there is A LOT of information to cover, and it would take me pages and pages to explain this

Honestly Its REALLY hard to recommend something when the person has no clue what they want or even what they are buying

Things to learn about: 

Sensor size and type  = APSC, Micro Four Thirds, Full Frame

Focal Length = Prime lenses, telephoto, zoom lenses, Macro, how APSC relates to full frame sizes, 

Apetures  = how wider apetures help in low light, and blur the background, smaller apertures increase sharpness

Noise and ISO = how well a camera performs in different lighting, 

Mirrorless vs Mirrorred, = size vs capability, lens choice, portability or performance

Focus types, focus points = Cross type, hybrid AF, how many focus points etc. sports or still photography etc

Stabilisation = In body stabilisation vs lens stabilsation, 3/5 axis stabilisation, VR, OIS, 

Flashes = freezing motion, lighting portraits, fill flash, high speed sync, 

Lens compatability = which cameras can use what lenses, mirror lesslens adapters, vintage glass

If you are studying photography, as much as it is an art form, and as much as it relies on creativity, composition and interesting subjects, your gear IS important, and you should spend time learning about it

You could always start off with something cheap like a Nikon 3300 for <$500 and use that to get started, and spend time learning abuot what gear you want to upgrade to

you can then sell the camera for $300-$400 in 6 months to a year and buy the gear that suits you best

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If you're just starting out then something like a D3300 w/ kit lens + 35mm F1.8 would be a good affordable combo. Then you can add more lenses and other accessories (tripod, flash, filters etc).

And while you can compare specs they don't always tell how the camera will perform especially since lenses play a very big role. It's hard for me to explain it in a short post.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Here's a free lesson: GLASS GLASS GLASS GLASS! It's all about the glass. Don't blow your entire budget on a body. Generally the rule is at least 50% of your budget should be in lenses. 

Here's what i'd do:

Learn what you can now. A lot of local library's have deals with online education websites like Lynda.com. If you have the time, renew that membership for a month or two and go study. Honestly the basics of photography is not that hard to learn especially from videos. + books!      If you want the free version if you get that 10day free trial that Linus has and put maybe 1-2 hours a day for those 10 days I bet you could learn not only the basics of photography but some cool tricks. + It'll make classes easier if you have a foundation and not starting from scratch. 

Have you considered buying used? The used camera market is great, especially for entry level DSLR's (Sub 1k gear) people tend to either A) Shoot it once then only bring it out on "special occasions" B ) baby it to the point where it's practically new C) Ditch photography after a few weeks because a smartphone is just easier. The internet is a great place, a good guideline is if you can find used gear locally, just look up on ebay or the used department at B and H and go from there. Generally if you're luck you have shave 10-30% off the internet asking price.  

Off Brands. There is no loyalty. Who care if all your gear is Nikon/Canon. They're great other camera manufactures that not a lot of people will talk about. They're usually great for the price because they're not as popular. Other off brands to look out for are Pentax, Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina. I've probably missed some but they're out there.