I need help with new my rig! (PSU choice)

Mdroid
Go to solution Solved by Daveeede,

I think that the 850 watt range would be sufficient with the efficiency of maxwell but if you want the extra headroom then a 1000 watt would be way more than enough. EVGA's lineup offers excellent quality at very reasonable pricing so that would be my suggestion. 

Hello LTT Forums and community!  :)

I need a litle help with my new rig. Actually it's my first build in years (more than 8 actually).  :unsure:

I haven't decided all the components yet, only the main ones. But I don't know which PSU to buy!

I was thinking to buy an Corsair (it's easier to find in my country) but I can't figure out if i get the AX860i or the HX850i. Or if I'm totally wrong about the wattage.

Here the part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VjGmpg

NOTE 1: I'm going to overclock de cpu to 4Ghz+. Not sure about the 980's

NOTE 2: I already bought the motherboard (I got for a good price in a sale, so I can't change it) , but I accept suggestions for other components.

NOTE 3: I'm going to connect some peripherals (my corsair k95 rgb and razer mamba), I don't know how much it influences in the psu , but better comment.

This rig will substitute my 5 year laptop, the main use is for heavy gaming and professional work.

Also, I apologize in advance for any English mistakes. It's not my native language.

Thank you!

For starters for overclocking I always add at least 250 W to the standard tdp you get calculated on there so at least a 900W psu but also make sure you have enough for future upgrades so from there add 100 W more 

So a 1000W psu should be fine for you

Let me check around and see what are some good ones 

Hi Agent 181,

thanks for the answer!

Wow! 1000W? I was thinking that a 850W would suffice for my needs.

The 1000W range psu that I have near me are:

EVGA SuperNova 1000 G2 80 Plus Gold

EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2 80 Plus Platinum

Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80 Plus Platinum

There is a 1300W EVGA G2 SuperNova 80 Plus Gold too, it's on sale for the same price of the corsair.

if I get the EVGA 1300W, it will be very inefficient?

I think that the 850 watt range would be sufficient with the efficiency of maxwell but if you want the extra headroom then a 1000 watt would be way more than enough. EVGA's lineup offers excellent quality at very reasonable pricing so that would be my suggestion. 

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Hello Daveeede,

thanks for the answer!

Well, I'm almost giving up the 980's SLI for now.  :wacko:

If I decide that I want the extra headroom for it in the future I'm going for the 1000W.

If not, I'm going for the 850W range. I think that for only one 980 with 5280k OC it's more than enough.

Don't get the Corsair HX1000i. For you, the 850W EVGA G2, P2, XFX XTR, Antec HCP are good options and better than the HX.

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

You should be fine with 850W. The EVGA G2 850W would be a good choice if you can buy one.

I would also change the gpu's to either MSI Gaming or Gigabyte G1.  

Don't get the Corsair HX1000i. For you, the 850W EVGA G2, P2, XFX XTR, Antec HCP are good options and better than the HX.

Yeah, The corsair HX1000i is expensive here. I'm going with EVGA. But I think I'm going with the 1000W G2 instead the 850W G2. The price difference is ridiculously low right now. I don't have the 850W P2 avaliable here.  :( But thank you for the help!

You should be fine with 850W. The EVGA G2 850W would be a good choice if you can buy one.

I would also change the gpu's to either MSI Gaming or Gigabyte G1.  

I was buying the Gigabyte G1 originally , but it was so expensive in the past three days that changed my mind. I don't know about the quality of the brand MSI , but I hear it's good. I just need to make a research about the warranty here. Do you think EVGA GTX 980 SC have a good cooler (it's quite hot in here, winter and 30C amb right now  <_< )? Thank you for the tip!

Yeah, The corsair HX1000i is expensive here. I'm going with EVGA. But I think I'm going with the 1000W G2 instead the 850W G2. The price difference is ridiculously low right now. I don't have the 850W P2 avaliable here.  :( But thank you for the help!

I was buying the Gigabyte G1 originally , but it was so expensive in the past three days that changed my mind. I don't know about the quality of the brand MSI , but I hear it's good. I just need to make a research about the warranty here. Do you think EVGA GTX 980 SC have a good cooler (it's quite hot in here, winter and 30C amb right now  <_< )? Thank you for the tip!

The 850W P2 is an upcoming model and I don't think they have released it yet.

The non G1 should be cheaper. MSI and EVGA are also fine though. They all have good warranty support (Especially EVGA) although Gigabyte and MSI support is fine as well.

Well,

I think the case is closed.

Thanks for the help!

I'm going with Evga 1000W G2.