slow internet problem

bosfreak

hi, I recently installed a new internet cable to my pc (before this I was using wifi) but my speeds are about 1/3 of what they should be (40Mb/s instead of 140Mb/s) and this is really bothering me;

the thing is, I recently reinstalled windows and with it all my drivers, but before it was just doing fine at the moments i had cable.

when I try it on another pc it just gets the normal speeds.

I also cannot acces my router settings via 192.168.0.1.

all help is welcome

I5 4670k (Noctua NH U12S), Asus Maximus VI Hero, Nvidia GTX 560 ti Asus DCU II, 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Kingston SSDNow v300 120 gb SSD 1TB Seagate Baracuda, Corsair Carbide 300R

I like pie

Honestly make sure it's a good cable if you have a support long cat5 cable that would hamper your stored the way your describing.

it is the exact same cable I used before, the only difference is that it now runs behind a few desks and a plinth.

I5 4670k (Noctua NH U12S), Asus Maximus VI Hero, Nvidia GTX 560 ti Asus DCU II, 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Kingston SSDNow v300 120 gb SSD 1TB Seagate Baracuda, Corsair Carbide 300R

I like pie

What is the spec on the cable length and rating.

the cable is about 10 meters long and it is cat 6

I like pie

okay, it's a bit better now and i got 120 Mb/s for a short moment but then it dipped back to 60 again;

anyone got an idea?

I like pie

May be your ISP but how is that a problem you speeds are fine.

Maybe instead of telling him his speed is plenty you should try to help him get the actual speed that he's paying for, and if you don't know then don't comment.

OT - Has this computer ever hit 140mbps or has it been stuck at 40mbps for all of its lifetime? Is there anyone else using the internet simultaneously?

Well What modem are you running? If your running Docis 2.0 modem it can only handle up to like 25 to 30. Reason for this it only has one channel. If you have docis 3.0 modem you should get full speeds what you would expect. Because it has 3 channels instead 1 channel. Think as if it was a highway with a single lane would not get as much traffic as you would with 3.

Amd fx-8320 oc 4.1ghz, 8gb ram, gtx 780ti 3gb, 240gb ssd, 1.5tb hdd,

Well What modem are you running? If your running Docis 2.0 modem it can only handle up to like 25 to 30. Reason for this it only has one channel. If you have docis 3.0 modem you should get full speeds what you would expect. Because it has 3 channels instead 1 channel. Think as if it was a highway with a single lane would not get as much traffic as you would with 3.

OP said he's getting 140 mbps on another PC, so it looks like it's isolated to that particular PC. Plus, DOCSIS 2.0 couldn't hit the 40 mbps that he's getting anyway.

hi, I recently installed a new internet cable to my pc (before this I was using wifi) but my speeds are about 1/3 of what they should be (40Mb/s instead of 140Mb/s) and this is really bothering me;

the thing is, I recently reinstalled windows and with it all my drivers, but before it was just doing fine at the moments i had cable.

when I try it on another pc it just gets the normal speeds.

I also cannot acces my router settings via 192.168.0.1.

all help is welcome

If you've got a smartphone or tablet scan your network with the fing network scanning app http://www.overlooksoft.com/fingto see what the ip address of you gateway is. Also reboot it.

CPU: Core i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 MHz GPU(s): EVGA GTX 980 Classified SLI Case: Coolermaster HAF X Storage: Samsung 256 GB 840 Pro, 2x2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x4TB WD Green PSU: Corsair AX860 860W Display: LG 31MU97-B 4K(4096x2160) and Dell S2716DG 27in 2K 1440p 144hz, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma and Death Adder Chroma Sound:Audioengine D1 Dac and Sennheiser HD650 Operating System: Win 10 Pro

okay, to go deeper into the problem:

I have hit the speeds I should have using this exact setup before I reinstalled windows and laid the cable in a proper way (normally when I really had to use it I just put it over the floor).

also, when i check the properties of the connection it says that there is no ipv6 connection, but if I recall correctly there was before, could this be part of the problem?

my upload speed is also extremely low, 2 Mb/s.

thanks

I like pie

Have you tried another lan port on your modem?

My modem can limit the speed of a certain port, you should check for this

Have you tried another lan port on your modem?

My modem can limit the speed of a certain port, you should check for this

yes, i have tried it but the speed difference was within the margin of error

I like pie

Are you using the network driver provided by the motherboard's manufacturer? If you're using the default windows one, maybe it could be handy to download the official driver. I'm not sure if this will fix your problem, but it can't hurt.

Are you using the network driver provided by the motherboard's manufacturer? If you're using the default windows one, maybe it could be handy to download the official driver. I'm not sure if this will fix your problem, but it can't hurt.

yup, i directly downloaded the drivers from asus' website;

the download speed problem fixed itself, but the upload speed is still shit :(

I like pie