Some help with VPN's

SansVarnic

OK I have been considering setting up VPN for sometime for a variety of reasons (and no nothing illegal or any of that its all legit). I know there are VPN services out there and I know one can host their own VPN.

If somebody who has fair knowledge and experience on this subject could steer me in the right direction here. I would like

1) which is better - paid service or self managed?

2) If paid service, name some of the best providers I could use.

3) If self managed, what is the best approach I should use.

4) approximate cost (USA) per year or month.

Please bear in mind I have some understanding of what a VPN is and how it works, it is just that I have no hands on experience utilizing it or have seen it used first hand.

Any assistance provided (constructive) will be much appreciative. Links, pictures, stories, whatever.

I am planning a new build sometime within the next 12 months so if a self managed VPN is the better option, then I would probably include a mid range ITX as a dedicated system for this.

I would like to, as I get acquainted with this include my house as a whole in this VPN, including my 'smart' TV. Oh should probably include that I do not have cable internet I have DSL thru CenturyLink but my router doesn't support VPN hosting.

Thanks in advance.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Well, all that depends a bit. Do you want to set up a VPN to access your home network in a secure manner from outside or do you want to use a VPN to disguise your real IP/location while being online?

Well, all that depends a bit. Do you want to set up a VPN to access your home network in a secure manner from outside or do you want to use a VPN to disguise your real IP/location while being online?

Well more or less both, but I am more concerned about accessing my network from the outside. Disguising my internet access is my second priority because of the type of work I do would be a good thing.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER