Thoughts on Sabertooth Z77?

Hi all, so this is my frist post and I am looking for some help. I was curious if a Sabertooth Z77 is still a good choice as it is a little oldish. Thoughts?

I don't like the tiny little fan on it. Often these fans are very loud.

Technically the board is great, so if you like the board --> go for it

Personally, I really don't see much need for such a high-end unit, unless you are planning on high-end overclocking with a custom loop and such. The Sabertooth is definitely a nice board, but I would recommend looking into cheaper alternatives and really considering if the extra features it offers is worth it (eg: GD55, Extreme4, UD3H, etc).

Scott,

I currently own a Sabertooth Z77 and run it in my main rig. Many users complain about the two fans but I have had no issues with any noise, when I'm running them on a moderate settings. As far as the board goes the placement of all the ports and such are all in the right places as one would expect from Asus. As far as price vs features, it really comes down to the warranty. That 5 year warranty is a nice guardian angel but remember you are paying a premium for it. You can get cheaper boards with similar features if you're one to change your rig semi-frequently. If you need anything specific let me know!

-Freak

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the help. So I guess now would be to get some suggestions. I am planning on getting a i7 3770k, so any suggestions to a good board to match. This is always the hard part for me as I am not too knowledgeable when it comes to choosing the mobo.

Its a shame it does cost as much as it does, since the aesthetics imo are amazing.

Said this before, the Sabertooth is 60% board, 40% 'shielding'. The premium price you pay is for pointless additions that you don't need, when you could buy a cheaper board with similar functionality.

For less, you can get this, Gigabyte z77 UD5H, and for a little more, you can get this, Asus Foruma V which both have better features than the Sabertooth IMO.

i dont personally have a sabertooth but im wary of how effective the fans and the "shield" really is. for all i know the fans are just pulling more dust into the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Fans that come with sabertooth are loud if you run them at high rpm, but with asus thermal radar you can set up custom fan curves. Or you can just leave those little fans in motherboards box (you need to install them yourself). I did some testing myself and there was no difference whatsoever in temps between fans at 100% and fans off.

I bought my sabertooth right after 3570k was released and 5 year warranty, thermal radar etc were worth premium price for me at the time. Now since we have so many boards even here in Finland I might go for some cheaper msi board. However I do like my sabertooth so I have no regrets. :)

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

Freaking love it :D

You don't even have to use the fans, so idk why people are complaining...