Good Java Books/eBooks?

Have been watching and undertaking online Java tutorials through various sites, yet still feel like I've only scuffed off the shell of a broader topic.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good up to date books/eBooks based around the language?

Thanks in advanced!

Have been watching and undertaking online Java tutorials through various sites, yet still feel like I've only scuffed off the shell of a broader topic.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good up to date books/eBooks based around the language?

Thanks in advanced!

Java 2 - The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt

You can pick a free PDF on google and it is the most detailed book I have ever come across..

There's always a way...

They have. Most online tutorials only cover what you would get out of a rigorous Computer Science 101 course. They tell you the basics of a language and perhaps a little bit about programming but almost nothing about software design, debugging and testing, best practices, performance, or other advanced topics.

I recommend starting here.