Contemplating 2nd EVGA GTX 780 SC

Faceman

Of course on new card launch day a ton of used GPUs flood the market.  There are some really incredible deals on used cards right now in my area and I am thinking of going for a 2nd 780 SC.

I know it is such a silly question to ask others if you should spend your money on something, but I am really undecided.  I have the money for it, but the need, not so much.  Its more of a:  The price is incredible, and it might be useful in the future kind of thing.

I already own an EVGA GTX 780 SC.  It is watercooled via G10 Bracket and it gets the job done incredibly well for my needs.  I don't play any games that really push it to its limit, so adding extra GPU horsepower isn't a necessity, although I do plan to buy Witcher 3 when the price drops to $30-$40, and I am really looking forward to the new Deus Ex game which, if coded right, might be able to take advantage of the rumored benefits of DX12 and multi-GPUs.

I play at 1080p, 60Hz, so again, nothing really to be gained from buying a 2nd 780 right now, but in the future, I would like to upgrade to 1440p/Ultra4k, although I don't know how soon that would happen, plus, only 3GB of VRAM feels limiting and I don't feel like banking on all future games and their developers making full use of DX12 and multi-GPU configs that combine VRAM.

I already have an 850W G2 PSU, so power is not an issue.  Its just a really good price, for a really good card.  I have already talked him down from $250 to $200, and I might be able to get him to drop a little more, but even $200 for a 780 SC is incredible.

I also know the protocol for meeting people through craigslist and testing components, so nothing would be done without first making sure the goods are working and worth the money.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I'm in a somewhat similar boat, as im deciding between either selling my current card and getting a 980 ti or something along those lines, or just adding another 780 ti.

dx12 may remedy the vram issue, but games that are coded to add up vram wont be released for quite so time...

Honestly, if I were you, I would just wait till you had the funds to upgrade the gpu setup, and get the new screen, as you wont benefit much at all from a 2nd 780 @ 1080p

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I'm in a somewhat similar boat, as im deciding between either selling my current card and getting a 980 ti or something along those lines, or just adding another 780 ti.

dx12 may remedy the vram issue, but games that are coded to add up vram wont be released for quite so time...

Honestly, if I were you, I would just wait till you had the funds to upgrade the gpu setup, and get the new screen, as you wont benefit much at all from a 2nd 780 @ 1080p

Yea, thats kinda what I am thinking too.  There is just no reason for me to buy a 2nd 780 right now other than to say I have two 780s.  The price is just incredible though.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yea, thats kinda what I am thinking too.  There is just no reason for me to buy a 2nd 780 right now other than to say I have two 780s.  The price is just incredible though.

Yeah, one of my friends has 2 780's and even at 1440p, not much taxes the system... (2 780's are roughly a titan x/ 980ti in synthetics).

About the discount, is it something that would last for a while, or is it something that you have not seen up till now/ may not see later again?

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd